• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

GPS Which is the Best?

jltimm

Question

I have used a Garmin GPS,and now own a Magellan.I liked the Garmin better for finding waypoints and backtracking.But on the other hand I like the battery life, (only 2 AA batteries) for the Magellan,and 4 for the Garmin,which sucked them right up.And I also like the fact that the Magellan floats!I might purchase a different GPS and want to know what everyone has had the best expierience with?

21 answers to this question

I have had good luck with Garmin, I really like my ETrex, simple and easy.

You'll get a different answer from everyone on this question, especially based on your intended use.

My Garmin GPSmap76s floats and the (2)batteries seem to last pretty well. They advertise up to 16 hours, I've gone only as much as 14. I do use it more often on an accessory jack though so batteries are not an issue for me. I absolutely love the simplicity of use of it. Another thing I really like is the screen is pretty big for a hand held. It has 24mb of memory and holds a ton of info. It will store up to 10 routes and also record a current one. You can choose to show or not show your past routes on the screen at anytime, and display or not display waypoints. It has programable alarms for, anchor drag, approach and arrival, off-course, proximity waypoints, shallow water and deep water. There are too many things it can do to tell you here but its definitely worth a look. What you decide on really depends on what you are going to do with it. For me, and my type of use, this unit does everything that I want to do with it and more.

I will echo what Macgyver55 has said about Garmin GPSmap76s. It is a great GPS with a lot of capabilities. If you don't mind paying bit more the GPSmap76cs has a color screen and in everything from bright sun to low light, it is very easy to read.

The other comment I will throw in here is Garmin has a tremendous phone support and warranty system. I had a problem with my Garmin GPSmap76cs recently and they immediately gave a return authorization number, I sent it in and got a new (refurbished probably)unit in about four days. They even transferred all waypoints to the new unit. I had already saved them in Garmin's easy to use software, but it shows their attention to detail.

For what its worth I offer the following. I bought a Garmin GPS 12 CX back in '98. Last year I thought it was acting funny so I called Garmin. They said "send it back to us with a check for $89 and we'll take care of it." I did. They TOTALLY upgraded and reprogramned it, even adding a NEW serial number to denote the changes.

How can you beat a company like that!!!

Oh, incidentally it always worked well and continuest to do so now.

I'd buy another one based on my experience.

Sounds like the Garmin 76smap is the GPS I would prefer,but I should probably talk to a expert on them at Gander,Cabela's,ect... At least they could give me a hands on example of the different options for the GPS,and how to use them.Thanks for the advice so far!

Garmin makes a great unit no doubt about it. I will say that if you are planning on using any kind of mapping chip in it, that pretty much eliminates them. I would highly recommend either the Lowrance H20 or H20C. Great unit for the money and it's compatible with either the Lakemaster or Navionics Chips. This is definately a step up from Garmin's mapping capabilities.

I have a Garmin GPSMap 76 and I love it. It is pretty easy to use and is a pretty pretty high quality. There are a ton of accessories available for it.

With that being said, if I were to buy one now I would get the Lowrance H2Oc. I checked prices on GPS City (Contact US Regarding This Word) and for about $12 less than the GPSMap 76 you can buy the H2Oc. You would get a color unit that accepts the Lakemaster and Navionics SD/MMC cards. For the money I think it might be a better unit.

As Paul noted, Garmin makes great units. I have an battered old GPSIII plus that is still kicking, and will still be my main hunting unit.

I wanted a mapping unit, however, and picked up a Lowrance iFinder H20C. I tired it for the first time this weekend, on Ottertail with the Lakemaster chip. Simply amazing to see the detail and the accuracy. I highly recommend this unit with the Lakmenaster maps.

Gissert,

I just got my Lowarance iFinder HuntC unit and LakeMaster chip last Friday. AWESOME map detail, accuracy and the HuntC was very easy to use. I'll second your onpion on the Lowrance iFinder with LakeMaster maps!

Lowrance H20, Lakemaster chip. Easy to use, Incredible value for the money. Even the color unit is a good deal.

Are the Lowrance units as easy to use as the Garmins? The prices on the Lowrance's were very reasonable,(and they included the cigarette power adapter)which is an extra with the Garmin.Are the Lowrances as accurate as the Garmin?How are they on batteries,and how many do they take?How about floating ability?

jltimm, I have owned the Garmin GPSMAP76cs in the past. Loved it. The backlight (compared to b&w units) was fantastic. The topo maps I downloaded from my computer were accurate. HOWEVER, downloading time and again as I changed from hunting to fishing and from one area to another got to be a real pain. I waited patiently for over a year for the Lowrance H2Oc. It was worth the wait. Like the Garmin unit, the backlight on the H2Oc is great. Be aware that this is nit the case with the HUNTc. Yes, preloaded chips are an added expense, but what a timesaver.

The H2Oc takes two AA batteries. I used mine for three days of quail hunting in Arizona a couple of weeks ago as well as some on the ice use this past weekend. Battery life came close to matching that of the b&w units. I have even used rechargeable batteries in these units. Whatever battery type you use carry an extra set of fresh batteries (or fully recharged rechargeable batteries). When not using your unit for navigation, keep it in your pocket, as these units will maintain satellite contact while in your pocket, or, if they lose it, reacquire satellite contact very quickly.

Accuracy? With WAAS active, accuracy was good to 17'. Keep in mind that WAAS and its workings are geared for improved coastal and seagoing accuracy. Its benefits to us in this part of the country are subject to a number of factors too involved to discuss on this forum. As more WAAS satellites are added, etc the accuracy for all WAAS enabled GPS units will improve.

Hope this answers some of your questions.

dockehr

Dr. Roland E. Kehr, Jr.

Thanks for the info dockehr.I read the Garmin is supposed to be accurate up to 3 meters.Are the two different brands similar in operation,or are they quite different?

Another question, since you went from the Garmin to the Lowrance,what were your reasons for this?I've been pricing them both and it seems like the Lowrance unit is less expensive.I will use this GPS mainly for fishing on Mille Lacs,LOW, and Canada.

jltimm,

Garmin and Lowrance put out excellent products. My PRIMARY reason for switching was the simple fact that the map cards available for the Lowrance units save me from having to continually load, erase, and reload map data from cds onto the Garmin units I owned.

Accuracy?? Don't believe everything you read from either company. Too many atmospheric factors affecting position repeatability.

The Lakemaster chip in the iFINDERH2Oc is a killer combination. Lakemaster will have a chip that will cover all of LOW. Their current chip covers only the U.S. portion of LOW. If you fish the Canadian portion of LOW and can't wait for the new Lakemaster chip, then get the appropriate Navionics chip for all of LOW. I use Lowranc's NW Ontario FreedomMaps chip for my fly-in trips. The lake outlines and island coverage is much better than what Garmin puts out.

Price?? Frankly, I don't worry about that. I'm interested in what works best in my hands, and what best meets my needs.

You would be well advised to visit a place like Thorne Bros. or Reeds up here and handle these units and listen to salespeople who are full-time, long-term with these respective stores.

dockehr

Dr. Roland E. Kehr, Jr.

I have had my H2OC and LakeMaster MMC for about 2 weeks now, man am I glad that I upgraded from my old Magellan 320 and having to download waypoints from my LakeMaster software on my PC. The update on the H2O is instantanious. It is an awesome unit. I am going to enjoy it this winter, I cannot wait until open water and using it for night trolling. When I picked it up at Reed's in Baxter I also got a RAM mount for it, tonight I mounted it in my old truck. The kids will get a kick out of watching the maps as we drive to the lake and out to our fishing spots. In the summer I will move that mount to the boat.

I don't think you can go wrong with this combination, it is a sweet unit, and simple to use cool.gif!!

Quote:

Like the Garmin unit, the backlight on the H2Oc is great. Be aware that this is nit the case with the HUNTc.

dockehr,

I have the HuntC. I don't understand why you don't think the backlight is not as good as the H2O. Same physical unit, different features I believe.

dave, my comparison is between the iFINDERH2O color unit and the iFINDERHUNT color unit. I just turned both on and the H2Oc is defintely brighter than the HUNTc! Now, if your're comparing the HUNTc to the b&w H2O, then the HUNTc is brighter. The batteries on the HUNTc show more charge than the the batteries on my H2Oc.

dockehr

Dr. Roland E. Kehr, Jr.

Thanks. I wasn't comparing to any other GPS. Just wondered what you meant. Isn't the H2O color and Hunt color the same GPS except for some icon features?

Personally I own the MAgellan Meridian series platinum. I chose this with the topo program because I like the idea of completely expandable memory and of course all the bells and whistles. Frankly I would've returned it within the first month if I had gotten to use it as much as I needed to find out it wasnt for me.

I can't make batteries last longer than 8 hrs. and sometimes the detail is far too limited. I'm looking for something that is more detailed and can last more than a day. I like to plot my course in the BWCA (not cheat with the GPS) and mine didn't last 3 days of paddling even with 2 sets of batteries. I also like the sounds of the lakemap chips.

I definately like the ease of use with my Magellan ut the Platinum is not for me.

It looks like you can run the Lake Master chip on both but the HuntC holds 1000 more points and has a electronic compass, and barometric altimeter. They both seem to be designed for a specific use, but I don't see why you couldn't get by with one or the other.