• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Anybody been out to know how much ice is on the lake? At this time of year is the shoreline breaks better, or should I try to get to some of the reefs? I have never ice fished this lake, but it might be time to learn it some. Thanks for any info!

If anyone has any info they would rather not post: aforsythe(at)tds(dot)net

Last Sunday I drilled two holes way over on the east side of the lake and found 8 good inches of ice. There should be plenty of ice now, but there tends to be open water around the island that is the last spot to freeze, so if you are out there I would check the ice as you go.

As far as fishing goes...the lake is full of walleye's and there is very little to no fishing pressure most of the time, but I sure can't consistently find the walleye's out there (I can't in the summer either)...

Good luck...

I might add, if you plan to fish Woman Lake, I highly recommend you get the Lakemaster Pro map of the lake, it has 3 foot contours and is very accurate. There is a ton of structure on the Lakemaster map that is not on any other lake map of Woman Lake...

JWB...I got the lakemaster program last year, and your right it is worth having! If the wife springs me (she's 8 months pregnant) I may make it out there this afternoon. I was looking at some different breaks and bars to maybe try. Lot's of water out there...might just have to pick a spot and see what happens! grin.gif

I'll be headed to the south shore of Women lake the day after Christmas for some R&R with my family and friends. We ice fish around dusk for walleyes and manage a few here and there. It's a fun lake to ice fish. We generally walk out about 100 yards from the cabin.

Let us know how you do! I've fished this lake in the summer and always wondered how it would be in the winter. Trying to talk a group of fellas to go up for a day and give it a try. I know the walleyes are there its just a matter of finding them!!!

As previously posted it's a hard lake to fish for walleyes. However we are able to catch a few here and there. It's fun just to get out.

I'll keep you fellas posted.

Last winter right at dusk on one of the many reefs out there, I was fishing a steep break and jigged a real nice fish up off the bottom... It missed my Chubby Darter about three times, then finally hit it..

Thought I finally had a nice walleye on, got it up the hole - turned out to be about a 6 poound eel pout...

I didn't know there were any eelpout in Woman Lake..

In fact, I would guarantee there are fewer eel pout than walleyes in Woman Lake, so what kind of fisherman does that make me? confused.gif

My inlaws place is on Woman and I just started fishing it last year. One of the first nights out we caught about a 10 pound pout and I had to look around to make sure I didn't stop at Mille Lacs on the way up!

EJ

Now that you mention it Fuzzer I don't really remember. Thanks for confusing me. Schnauzer, if you are out there refresh my memory would you.

EJ

In case anybody was wondering...tonight there was only 9 inches of ice out from the public access. Not much snow,and it was really slushy out there. Only caught some perch.

• 2 weeks later...

Over the Christmas holiday I fished on Woman lake a few nights. Each nights we managaged a couple walleye nothing great but worth going out. The ice was 8" of good ice, it varied from 6 - 10" depending on where you were. I saw a few wheelers out, I would not drive anywhere on the lake.

To add to the report, I was out tonight, and there were several new cracks out there. They were only about 2 inches, but the were not there Sunday night. Didn't do much except a few perch. Be careful out there since we are not making ANY ice!

Is there a more detailed description of the ice conditions on Woman ? I was thinking of going out Sunday night.

I am sure everything is very safe for walking and that driving a vehicle out would be a NO-NO ! How about the snow cover and is there a lot of water and slush to deal with ?

I found that there was about 8 inches of ice where I was. The snow wasn't bad for getting around on. I would say NO WAY on driving anything other than a sled or wheeler. And the only place I found some slush was at the access. But keep in mind, I wasn't all over the lake, so it may vary. Hope that helps. grin.gif