• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Paul Bunyan and Schoolcraft Game Refuge

Hey Guys,

I notice that these areas are bow only zones. I was just curious if anybody in the Park Rapids area bowhunted these

game refuges. These areas look huge and vast with miles of

unbroken forest. I'm just looking for some advice on these

areas also being these are Archery only there is probably

some very big bucks.

I bowhunt and muzzleload the Paul Bunyan. There is alot of deer in the entire forest and I have seen a few big bucks. One thing about the area is the very large population of spike and fork horn bucks. The first few years I hunted here I thought the large bucks were going to really take off but now 10 years later still just alot of forks and spikes. I generally see more of these small bucks than does and fawns. This year during a muzzleloader trip ( which is legal in the paul bunyan only) I seen a huge timber wolf about 60 yards away, it than turned and trotted right at me to within 35 yards. I was both exited and a little scared at the same time. I have heard and seen there tracks while hunting here before and know there is a pretty good population of wolves in the refuge and surrounding areas. As for undesturbed woods there is very little because of all the dirt bike and four wheeler trails throughout the entire forest.

Once you get back in there you do get the feeling of a little bit of heaven. There is a ton of wildlife that makes its home in the forest that makes every outing unforgetable.

Schoolcraft is knowen as the Paul Bunyan State Forest Upper Unit. The lower unit Runs from north of Nevis to Walker. I've only hunted the lower unit west of Hwy. 64.