• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Question for you old car guys.

SCUMFROG

Question

I'm looking at a 70's ford pick-up 150 ranger for my kid. It needs a starter but the guy who has it doesn't know what size engine is in it. He knows it's a V8 but that’s all. How can I find out what starter it takes? She really likes this truck, (yes I said she). And it's under a grand so she wants to pay for it herself.

22 answers to this question

Not sure if this a help, try calling a junk yard and see what they know. Quite often back then they used the same starting for more than just one engine.

Have you checked under the hood? In some cases it was labeled on the air cleaner. Also it should be coded in the VIN number somehow. I am guessing a with the VIN a call to a Ford dealership would give you some info.

As a matter of fact here is a site that may be able to give you that info if you have the VIN http://www.analogx.com/contents/vinview.htm

I'm guessing you have 4 choices for engines

300 6 cylinder

302 V8

351 M

400 big block

The VIN should definitely tell you what the engine is, as should any underhood stickers, or also on the air cleaner.

D

Ok I got VIN number and called a dealership and they told me it's to old for them to look up.. Now what??

Did you try plugging the VIN at that site I posted? There was also a link to a 2nd site partway down the page for real old stuff.

Go to the library with the VIN# and look it up in a Chiltons repair manual. Or post the VIN # so someone can look it up for you.

I FOUND IT.. YEE-HAA

I found it on ford-trucks (Contact US Regarding This Word). It's a 351.

Thanks for your help...

There's a 351 and a 351M. The difference is in the heads. The 'M' stands for 'modified' I think. Something like 400 heads on a 351 block or the intake and exhaust valves are the same as in a 400. There may be differences so it may not hurt to check and see if they take the same starter. My guess is they probably are the same.

The 351M is a big block and the 351 is a small block. The 351M was popular in 78 pickups a lot of the time.

There was also the 351 C (Cleveland) which was a high performance engine, a precurser to the M, and a much better engine. Methinks the starters would be the same

How can you tell the difference from one to the other? I looked at it yesterday and couldn't find any stickers or any thing to tell me what it was.

It didn't say on the website you were at? I should have said which version of the 351 it was.

I checked the VIN on the site again today. All it says is that it's a 351 2bbl. So I'm thinking its just the plan 351. That's ok, cause I'll fix problem quick. grin.gif

That's what I'd do, but I haven't bought the truck yet. I'm hoping they got it put in yesterday so I can hear it run and drive it. The kid is driving me nuts about it, I just don't get why she wants that old truck so bad.

scumfrog, how many miles on it ? my dad had that exact engine in a 78 years ago, not a bad truck traded it at a 150k was starting to get some internal engine noise. I still think the old inline 6 ford made for years was arguably one of the best engines ford ever built. good luck

126k on it. When I looked at it this weekend I couldn't see any thing leaking. The engine was clean and still that light blue. So I'm thinking it was taken care of.

I have a good friend whose 16 yr old son bought a mid-70's Ford pickup. It had about 150K miles on it..and it performed flawlessly the entire time he had it (he drove it for about a year and a half and just sold it a month or so ago). Those are well built trucks and they want to run forever.

Yea, and if she smacks it up I can just replace the parts myself. Or if it brakes down I can fix it. Not like these new cars now you hae to be a computer programer to work on them. grin.gif