• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Backus-Pine River area

I am looking at being in the area for a week starting jan 15th any good tips on lakes in the area to try? My mother in law has a cabin on hattie but im not sure how easy it will be to get on that lake I dont have a sled or 4 wheeler does anyone plow roads from lake access on any lakes in this area that would be easier to use? Any help would be appreciated.

Kato-

No need to go anywhere other than the lake you are staying on. Hattie is putting out some really nice crappies and walleyes right now. I have a place just down the road. If you feel the need, other lakes to try are Big Portage, Pine Mountain and Sanburn. Big Portage will give you the best Crappie/Walleye action, while Pine Mountain and Sanburn are good Walleye lakes. I was on all the aforementioned with fairly good results. Check with Wayne @ Godfrey's for more(and better) information. Hope this helps and good luck!

Hard to predict where the hot bite will be three weeks from now but Hattie is a great place to start. AS far as moving around, it is a small enough lake that you can mostly walk it. I agree with the post that said check with the bait shop at GOdfrey's. Wayne is usually on top of things pretty well.

On Pine Mountain Lake, what depth do you start looking for walleyes? I've tried a couple times during the summer, but have had no luck. We own part of the island on Hand Lake, and are doing well on panfish - sure wish we had someplace to go and catch a few eyes though...

Anyone ever fished Widow Lake up by Longville? I remember a long time back catching good crappies there, but it's been like, 30 years?

Thanks for the response looks like my week is getting moved back by a week leaving on the 20th may be going to red for weekend with friend from work. As I asked previously are any of these lakes plowed or easy to get on as I do not have a 4 wheeler or sled. Moonshine do you know Elmer Soukup I am related on his late wifes side my mother in law bought one of his cabins? Thanks for the info

Big Portage and Pine Mountain were plowed last weekend. Other than those two I am not sure as I only fished one other lake and it was not plowed.

Yes, I know the Soukup's. Not so much Elmer, but Verdale and his son's. Actually Danny Soukup was with me on Big Portage. My cabin's land runs between Sylvan and Tamarack, the same lake Verdale is on.

I will be up there fishing the next couple weekends after Christmas and I will let you know if I find anything. Just let us know how you do whatever weekend you decide.

Moonshine, Where abouts are you in relation to Verdale? I'm on 118 and one of my property lines is Tamarack Cr. Right where it empties into Little Hattie. Always nice to meet the neighbors. Katofishinguy, I'm Hopin' to make a trip or 2 this season, have to see what shakes out. BTW, Did you ever meet Hildegard? Sweet Lady!

Hey good to hear from you again phred. I have changed my plans and am going to red 20-21-22 on vacation rest of week when ya planning on going always looking for a new fishing buddy drop me a line sometime [email protected] Yes Hildegard was a nice lady.

Phred - My land is on the north shore of Tamarack to the south shore of Sylvan. By road, from 118 take a right on Ponto 2, now 20th street, and we are the first right past Verdales house. It is the driveway with the garage on the main road. Do you fish Tamarack much? I was on there for a short period Saturday and the fishing was good.

83Walleye, we have a place on Hand Lake as well. It is next to Lars on Shadywood Shores.

I was curious to know if you were catching both crappies and sunfish or just sunnies ? In the summer I get a lot of nice crappies in there, but have had a hard time in the winter trying to find them. We mostly go for Northerns through the ice. That is a blast !! We get a lot of them.

If you would like some walleye spots on Woman, Webb, or Pleasent post a reply and I will get you some info to get in touch..

Merry XMAS... It is nice to see a few more posts lately on the Longville forum.

katofishingguy, It's real hard to say when I'd be up. It's all dependant on the production schedule @ work, and the earliest I'd know if I did get the vacation time would be mid way through the week previous. At this point I'm requesting 2 days during the week of the 12th. Moonshine, Actually, I've not been on Tamarack, yet. Usually when I icefish up there, I'll hit Pine Mountian, Pleasant or follow Waynes' advise. I believe I do know just where you're located. What were you fishing for last Sat?

Phred, sorry I didn't post sooner. Been out of the office. We were fishing Sunfish and Crappies. The Sunfish were right on the bottom and the Crappies were five feet off. Fished from 1:30 to 4:00. Had plenty of action and kept enough for a meal so we left for Pine Mountain to try for Walleyes. I am not sure how the Crappies are biting dusk into the evening. Will find out in a couple days. I am heading up Wednesday afternoon for the rest of the week. Good luck to all and Happy New Year!

Thanks for the info, W&W. Our family has been on the lake since the late 40's. We share the island with an aunt & uncle, and our cabin is the last place on the west shore before you go around the island right to left, coming from the main lake. Almost all sunnies this winter - we fish in the back bay behind the island. Believe it or not, we get tullibee's back there too. Not alot, but they apparently cruise through now and then. Sunnie tackle, you know teardrops and grubs, work well. My dad has speared for northerns since the 50's back there as well. Lots of northerns, and it's a blast watching the other fish come through the hole - bass, tullibee's, perch, sunnies, bullheads, dogfish, occasional walleye. Have not fished crappies on Hand in the winter, although they're all over in the summer. Size has shrunk over the years, but they're still around. I trust you find the crappies in deeper water in the winter?

Can't say I'm an expert, but I'm confortable fishing walleyes and do well in most cases. The Pine Mountain and Stony walleyes however, have been pretty safe so far when I fish. What depth is best? What structure? If I could catch a couple, maybe I could get something going...

Thanks in advance for any tips on the walleyes - maybe we'll see you this summer. 16' red Lund/50hp Evin or 17' Yarcraft duckboat with a 75 Merc tiller. Take care. Mom and Dad are in their late 70's and spend alot of time up there in the summer. Dad would love to have a spot to catch walleyes.

So you must be the place with the old boathouse ?? I fish the other side of that main bay a lot more than the side you are on. I will agree with you that the crappie have decreased in size. This is mainly due to the huge increase of people that are on the lake. I also notice a heck of a lot more people coming to drop the boat in for an evening and fish. When I first started going to Hand Lake there was no one fishing except the old timers. The fishing was phenomenal ! It is still a great lake for it's size, but it is getting pressured.

I will be out there in our Gray Lund 17 foot Angler with a Johnson 60 horse tiller. Say hi if you see me.

Send me an email if you would like a little info that I was talking about.. [email protected]

Well I might as well chime in, as another Hand Laker! grin.gif Waylon&Willy we are close, as I am in the big grey year-round house before you turn to go to your place. I married Denny's daughter, if that helps. I have been trying eye's on Webb,and Woman without any luck. I have only been on each twice, so if ya feel like sharing grin.gif I tried fishing last week in our bay here but only mamaged one small snake. But I didn't hit it to hard. There is a clam out there today, a bit deeper in this bay. There was only 8 1/2 inches last week, but now the snow's gone.

aforsythe(at)tds(dot)net

W&W - Our place is next one past the place with the boathouse. We sit and watch the boats as they enter the channel to go around the island.

Another place we had good luck with tipups and northerns was the bay where the creek goes out to the south(under the road) towards Ada. Another broad, shallow(6-10') bay that holds northerns. No place in particular - just all around.