• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

garrison?

INWally

I am making my first trip to mille lacs in the begining of Jan. We rented a house for 2 days during the week from Garrison Sports and will be fishing in garrison. We are wanting to do some serious fishing. Any advise on where to go ? we want to get out during the day and move around, but we dont have a depth finder (we have everythign else). Is one absolutley nessesary? Any hints on where to go?

THANKS

ANY INFO WILL BE HELPFUL!!

Inwally.If you dont have electronics you may not be fishing as seriously as you could.There are probably some places up there to rent a sonar unit,mabe someone can help you with that.If you can get to the mud flats thats where Id go.If you have gps with maping like the h2o by lowrance itll take you to the right places.Its a very accurate map but a sonar is gonna do the majority of the work for you.There are a number of flats in the garrison area.Working on the top,edge or bottom of them can produce.

If Kerry is still with Garrison Sports, he's the man. I grew up fishing out of there and they treated us, including my 80 year old grandpa excellently. Talk to him and he'll help you out. I would see if you can rent electronics somewhere though. But we never had electronics when I was growing up and we caught a heck of a lot of fish. Garrison Sports is top notch.

INWally, by all means, beg, borrow, steal, or rent a depth finder. While the mapping GPS units can place you on what should be good structure, you need the finder to determine if and when fish are around your presentation.

Yes, Kari Hough, is still at Garrison Sports, as he is one of the owners.

dockehr

Dr. Roland E. Kehr, Jr.

Sell everything else you have, and then purchase some good electronics. It is probably the best investment you will ever make if you do much fishing. Spots on spots, and reading what the fish want and don't want. These things are great teachers of the game. I promise you once you learn to use them you will be lost without them.

I definitley agree with the posts on the electronics. I would sooner leave home without my fishing rods and just tie a line to my finger before I'd fish without the Vex. how did we do it years ago? HMMMM. Good luck and hold onto your rod. Bill

Hey Wackawalleye, we are coming up the 28th and I'm wondering if I'll be able to drive the suburban on the ice by then? Also where they putting the rental units? we plan on fishing the day up there until 8:00 when we get into the rental unit.If you work out of Twin Pines maybe I can hook up with you when we stop in, any info on a lake this size would be greatly appreciated! We plan on staying in the west end area to fish, probably fairly close to where our rental will be. Thanks, OLE

We have been driving in St. Alban's Bay for a week now. Not sure if we will have bridge to the flats by the 28th. Need 4-6 more inches which isn't out of the question. Call Bill at 800-450-4682. Always glad to talk about the Big Lake.