• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Just wondering about the pout recipes that are out there. I cooked one up with breading and a deep fryer and it was awsome! Anyone have any favorite prep methods for pout? I'm headed to LOW 20-22 of January and thought I might be able to treat a couple people to a bonafide pout feast while I'm there. The only bad part about that is then they might actually want to start keeping them for themselves.

Thanks in advance.

Tunrevir~

Bothways are very tasty! You can also broil it like you would your trout/salmon. Not bad that way either. I prefer the boiled in sprite and dipped in butter though.

Dip the fillets in cornstarch and fry. Eat them as a sandwich with bacon and tomato. My famous "BBT" - bacon, burbot, and tomato - sandwich. Or make poor man's lobster by boiling in salwater or sprite. I like that with drawn butter and ocktail sauce. Or you can just bread them with cracker crumbs and eat with tartar sauce. You can also bake the fillets with lemon and butter. Pretty much anything that works with codfish will work, after all an eelpout is a type of codfish.

Sushi rolls with lots Soy and Wasabi sauce!!!!

The ideal way to clean them is to win a bet with your buddies and the loser cleans the fish..... I usually skin them and fillet the meat of the back. The back straps are where all the meat is anyway.

Whatever you do with them, eat them fresh. DO NOT FREEZE THEM!!!! Not sure what goes wrong, I have heard that there is an enzyme or something that activates. Whatever it is, the meat turns into a rubber band when they are frozen. Good Luck with old SLIMER.

cool.gif

To clean them, do it just like a catfish. Cut a circle all the way around the back of the head. Then, grab ahold of the skin with a pliers and pull the skin off. An expert burbot skinner will take the whole skin off in one piece, but if it breaks just grab the rest of the skin and pull it off with the pliers. You can the cut off the head and tail, remove the guts and cook the skinned carcass whole. Or you can take the two boneless fillets off by cutting them away from the backbone, which is what most people do. Forget the rib meat. Most of the meat is on the back, but you can fillet them all the way down to the tail. The tail meat is thin but tasty. There is not as much meat on them as their size would indicate, so I'd recommend letting anything under three pounds go as it isn't worth the hassle. Let them little ones grow up and become lunkers.

thanks for the cleaning tips, i know a lot of people (including myself) who throw all pout down the hole just due to the fact they do not know what to do with them once they get them home.

Thanks for the recipes! I've heard the boil and drawn butter but never the sprite boil. Sounds pretty good! The cleaning tips were appreciated as well! I usually have thrown them out on the ice for 10-15 minutes and let them firm up and then just filleted the backstraps off and cooked them up. The nice thing about pout is that I can encourage my friends not to throw back "those trash fish" and then fillet them up and cook them and they rave about the fantastic fish we had on our trip! There must be something to them being called lawyers....

Thanks again!

Tunrevir~ cool.gif

cleaned and cooked my first pout today....mmmmmmmmmmm...tasty! took a day trip to mille lacs and got 6 pout and 2 eyes between 18-20 inches. the highlight of the day was the 27+ inch slob walleye that porter pulled through the ice, one of the fattest eyes i've ever seen! anyways, if you want pout, the bite is on over there, once the sun went down i could not keep them off of my line. fun fun.

Did the pout have any size? Last spring I caught my largest from Mille Lacs, 6 pounds. Most of the ones that I catch from Mille Lacs are a bit on the small side. I have yanked in some absolute bulls from Winnie though. The ones on Winnie are all spotty, kinda like a leopard. Anyone know why the fish there look so different than the normal unspotted variety?

One thing that my dad does at home is save all of his fish guts or whole mud pups in a 5 gallon bucket and then leaves them in front of the house for the eagle(s). It is kinda cool to see the eagles come down on the ice only a couple of hundred yards away. The kids really love to watch them.