• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Does any one know how the ice is on Pelican? havent fished it before. I am plaining a trip up there in January. What type of fish can I expect?

Mostly Panfish, But Northerns as well.

Its noted for its abundance of panfish.

Good Luck, I've never fished it.

Mark

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

I would fish one of the many other little lakes around for big panfish because Pelican gets hit so much harder because it is big. I know of some to the east of Pelican that have crappies that will take one any one you catch on red. If ya want some ideas let me know.

I used to live in Orr...and fish Pelican often. Never ice fished it though...dont really know why. I would say if your going to fish pelican....pike would be what you want to target..they are everywhere along with some big ones...think deep water access. There are big panies if you know were to look...those spots are kept pretty hush hush. If your looking for more of a mixed bag...think Ash, Elephant or Black Duck. A much better chance of some eyes on those waters. Good luck.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

i use to fish elephant early. I like Echo lake it is a aways from from orr but i caught big (Contact US Regarding This Word) crappies. I drove the echo trail from ely to get there and that is a hair raising drive let me tell you in the winter.

Thanks for the great information everyone. My wife and I are planing a weekend get away and are staying at the AmericInn on 53. So im thinking about fishing crappies usually more action. Where would be my best bet? I will be fishing in a otter lodge so we will be mobile. If you would rather reply by email. [email protected]

thanks

Blaine

Capt. Blaine,

We've fished together, remember the 200+ inches of perch! I've got another idea for you if you're up for a trip into the suburban Orr area.

Cashcrews

We camp at Echo in the summer and have done some fishing there. How is the fishing in the winter? And would you be willing to share a few tips on the lake?

I would fish Elephant if you are looking for crappies. It is a much smaller lake to deal with. Make sure to stop in for breakfast and a BM at MelGeorges and get the latest information. ooops, i suppose that i should clarify that 'BM' stands for Bloody Mary, but that is just speaking for myself. anyway, they do get some great crappies on this lake. if you are there in the fall and see the gut buckets in the cleaning house, you would be surprised by the 12" 13" fish that fill that thing. also, there is a healthy population of eyes and some large gators in the lake. i think that the ownership has changed hands at the resort, but that the original owner is still kinda running the place for awhile. he is a good guy that will get you in the direction of the fish. by the way, they have a motel there that i think they keep open in the winter. Good luck.

Whoa dude, I thought BM stood for "Bowel Movement", like we were supposed to drop by to use their super-deluxe crapper before fishing or something.

Yeah, kinda realized that after I wrote it but was not in the mood to go back and change it. It should be noted that after camping it out for a few days and using the wooden box it is nice to see porcelin. Sometimes the smallest conveniences are the best.

• 2 weeks later...

The last DNR report I saw said the water had very poor secchi readings. Based on the number of rusted out 1979 Impala's I see sitting out front, there must be something worthwhile in there. It's on Hwy 53.

Captain Blaine,

I wouldn't go there if I were you. I must admit, I've been to that "hotspot" a few different times, and there's stories associated with each one of them.

Cashcrews

I've even run into some of the Orr Muni "Pro-Staff", and I've determined that focusing your efforts in there is generally not worth the effort.

I went up to the Orr and tested the waters at the Muni. And let me tell you there are some hogs in there lots of ugly hogs that is.. They are real easy to catch. But I just wasent interested.