• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

More snow weight on the ice.......Be Careful Out There!

With 4+ inches of wet heavy snow newly fallen, and another 1-3 over the next two days, I encourage everyone to use caution on the ice.

Snow is a great insulator, and slows the build up of ice. (as we've seen in the last week, even with sub zero temps, ice hasn't built up quickly)

Snow is also heavy, adding to the stress load of marginal ice. Be aware of cracks and heaves. The added weight of all this new snow will force water up through these areas creating potential hazards.

Check on you shak if it's on the ice already. The added weight of the snow will also force water up open holes...potentially freezing or flooding your shak....time to jack them up. Or let the ice thicken up some more.

Just be careful out there!

Good luck and good fishing.

That's good advice, I noticed more open water today near the lake victoria bridge on the chain. Some of the runoff will make the areas with moving water and springs more dangerous.

my fishing partner was out today,ther had been no flooding all year till today.the heavy wet snow is really forcing water on top of the ice on waska.Better remove or block up house even the small ones.