• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

briggs chain news?

My son was on Briggs on Sunday released 27 crappies, kept 8 with the largest 11 1/2. Not sure exactly where he was set up. I was supposed to go with him this afternoon, but ended up blowing snow instead. Bill

Was out in the channel on saturday, you could see the sunfish swimming, but they were really finicky. Ended up keeping 3 sunnies and 1 nice crappie.

Fishing has been really slow on Briggs & Julia. They had a huge Crappie kill this summer. Estimates of 6000 to 10000 crappies due to lack of oxygen. It's going to take some years for the lakes to recover. Ice conditions on Briggs are terrible due to the early snow. Ice varies from 4" to 8" on the main body. Had lot's of slush on the lake BEFORE this latest storm. It's going to be quite a while before it is safe for anything other than ATV's or Snowmobiles.

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't Briggs and Julia have a big winter kill maybe 10-15 years ago. I faintly remember this as I would have been pretty young???

• 2 weeks later...

Debating on where to go tonight it dosn't sound like any lake is real hot right now. If anyone has been out here latly or Julia & Rush is worth the trip or am i better of trying Two Rivers?

I was out on Rush, there is an under current from the channel that connects to briggs. I found out the perch were biting closer to shore on the opposite side. Checked DNR Lake Finder when i got back and saw there is a nice shelf to the right of the channel. I might try there tomorrow night, I heard from locals its a good for walleye during early ice.

Sorry, this question is kind of out of season, but I am wondering if anyone has any knowledge of how the bass fishing is on this chain and is it easy to get to all three lakes by boat?

• 1 month later...

does anyone fish these lakes but me and my buddies? Caught a couple 10-11 inch crappies out by the deep hole the other day. Still have yet to find the eyes out there though.

You guys aren't the only ones fishing the lake...I don't think smile.gif

A guy I know, he grew up on the shores of Briggs and his dad fishes it quite a bit. Apparently there hasn't been a lot of activity out there this year as in years past.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

That could be said for a lot of lakes around here this winter. Amazing what not being able to drive out to your spot does to fishing pressure.

you can catch bass on briggs and julia right by the channel openings on both lakes in the weed,reeds and lily pads. you can get to all three lakes by boat without getting out of the water.

has anyone been out lately. I went out last week a few times and caught a couple each time. caught a few nice ones too!!!

my friends and I had some good fishing out on Briggs about a month ago but not anything to brag about. I've had some great luck out on some lakes around the St. Cloud area