• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

buffalo crappies

just wanted to let you know that the crappies are biting very well right now I was out last night 12-13-05 and cought my limit in an hour I was fishing in the group of houses in front of the courthouse in 20' of water with a purple jig tipped with a crappie minnow. hope to see you out there.

Just wondering how much ice there is now out there in front of the courthouse? With all of this snow we should be in for a winter of bad ice. Has anyone been having any luck in the morning. I know that buffalo is usually a better evening bite lake than a morning bite. I think that I will be out there on Friday morning if anyone else is out there stop by and say hi.

crappies biting on Buffalo come on, you are not serious.

Hey snowmaster you should keep secrets if you know what I mean.

Hey Snowmasters, thanks for the input, we folk that don't live five miles from a decent fishing lake do appreciate the updates.

hey know problem. Now I told you where they are its your job to catch them smile.gif As for the ice I had about 4-5inches where I was I thought that there would be more but there wasent. I will be out hopfully on thursday and friday its kind of nice getting laid off in the winters.

Was out tonight, caught a couple? wink.gifand was really a pain, you were either walking in 2in of water(if you shoveled to the ice) or stepping in deep slush. Wasnt too bad with waterproof boots, but make sure you bring some.

ohh yeah 5 in of ice by me

good luck

also Game warden is visiting frequently so make sure you bring you liscense and dark house liscnese.

yeah this snow is not going to be good for the ice that really sucks because I am antsy to put my perm. out

I am assuming it's still ok to walk out with a flip over or is this snow putting too much pressure on the ice? I understand it's going to flood in the shack I just want to be 100% sure the ice is thick enough to be out on. Thanks.

work, work, work, come on cold weather, freeze the slush. I how like info on how much slush you guys are finding? My new job requires so many hours, I haven't been able to get out to check. I'll give you guysd info when I can. I have heard some small lakes have given up some nice fish. I'm thinking of hitting crawford sometime soon for panfish, and pulaski just for the small pike (Pickle fish). good luck guys and stay safe. Dead men tell NO tales.

Jeffyo, the ice is plenty thick, at least 5 in everywhere. even with the snow it is still safe. It makes it tough to pull a house out though. Hopefully this colder weather will add a little crust on the snow and make pulling out a house easier. there were many snowmobiles out there driving as well, and i dont think i heard one crack all day. Go out and have some fun laugh.gif

Last weekend I had 3 inches of clear ice under me out over the sandbar in Buffalo. Man was that a long ways to tug the house, and to top it off, I missed the few fish that nibbled, and then the strong wind blew me and the shelter across the lake, knocking my lantern into the hole. I think I'll join everyone at the courthouse for a nice easy outing.

Jim - Crawford and Pulaski? I don't think you could pick riskier ice! Crawford is aerated and Pulaski is, well... Pulaski!!! smile.gif Your right - dead men do not tell tales, be safe, PLEASE! blush.gif

I checked out Eagle near monti right before all this snow - the ice on it was awfully crusty with about 2.5 inches of clear ice. With crappy crust on top, it was about 5 inches.

BTW, While at a friend's house in Maple Grove I checked out Weaver Lake ice yesterday - apparently it has a spring in it - we're talking 1.5 to 2.0 inches of actual ice, the rest is crust, slush, water and snow. Weaver and Pulaski tend to mirror each other for freeze up characteristics.

Some lakes this year have the worst ice I've seen for while - but it is still early season. Buffalo tends to freeze nicely, even under rough conditions. Just make sure you are all being honest with yourselves regarding the amount of CLEAR ICE under your feet. shocked.gif

I got out there at 3 in the afternoon and I had my limit in a hour it was very fast

Man you guys! Maybe a reporting little subtlety? Nice catching though. tongue.gif No jelousy on my part at all! tongue.gif

Sounds like the crappies are hitting, anyone having any luck with the walleye's? Jigging, dead sticks?

Well I was out today Dec 18 I got out around 2in the afternoon and had a decent bite I cought 8 crappies and 3 little walleyes but threw those back. the crappies where biting very light I cought them using the little spring bobbers good luck.

Jim F. I was thinking of fishing crawford for the panfish. The slot size should make for bigger fish.

As for Pulaski Its full small pike great for kids with tip-ups, I hope to spear some for pickling. Most the pike I catch on the summer months are 1 1/2-3lbs. In the 3 yrs I have fished pulaski hard my largest pike so is 4 1/2lbs. Time to thin out the population.

snowmaster113, E-mail me at [email protected] I would like to know if your using crappie minnows, waxies, or fatheads? I was out just before the lake froze the monday of the rain and first snow. The crappies and walleyes I caught that evening were on fatheads.