• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Crappie fishing

Fishmiester,

How do you get those paper-mouths without using any bait? Any favorite colors? Can you catch em like you do during low-lights conditions/dark as well??

HI HERMIT,

FISHING CRAPPIES, BY MANY PEOPLES STANDARDS ARE USING BOBBER, A PLAIN HOOK & A MINNOW. I HATE BOBBERS, INSTEAD WATCH YOUR LINE, CRAPPIES ALWAYS FEED UPWARD(ALWAYS), SO I LIKE TO USE MY VEXLAIR, TUBE JIGS WITH SINGLE TAIL TUBES, OR CICADAS, OR SMALL KASTMASTERS. CRAPPIES THAT MOVE TOWARDS YOUR JIG QUICKLY AS YOU WATCH THEM ON THE VEX., MOST LIKELY ARE GOING TO BITE. WHEN THIS HAPPENS, STOP WATCHING YOUR VEX & START WATCHING YOUR LINE., WHEN THE LINE MAKES THE SLIGHTLEST MOVEMENT, SET THE HOOK, THE CRAPPIE HAS INHALED IT. I LIKE USING LONG GLASS RODS WITH A VERY FAST TIP. IN RAINY, I DO NOT FISH AFTER DARK FOR CRAPPIES. IT IS A MUCH DIFFERENT FISHERY THEN RED LAKE. I HOPE THIS HELPS.

SINCERELY,

FISHMIESTER

I agree with the fishmeister. I use southern crappie pro tubes, custom jigs and spins, and uncle josh's tubes just to name a few. Different colors are going to work on different days or even on an hour to hour basis depending on weather and light conditions. I also agree with fishmeister that crappies don't bite on northern shield-type lakes after dark due to water conditions. I fish the tubes mainly horizontally and as fishmeister said, a good-sensitive rod with a fast tip can make or break your trip. the tubes mean nothing if you cannot work them effectively or feel the fish bite. I like using genz series lightning rods, but the new genz stix are really nice.(hey there's a x-mas idea) Anyhow good luck in your adventures hope we helped, at least a little.