• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Como Lake ???

gopherfisher_22

I live near Como Lake in St Paul and I have noticed 2 or 3 houses out there almost every night. I went out there once last lear and caught lots of tiny perch and crappies. Just wondering if anyone else has had any luck there.

there are some bigger crappies in that lake if you can find them, also lots of smaller pike that can keep you b usy all day on tip-ups if you put some smaller shiners down. Just be careful around the aerator as the ice gets thin very fast.

there are some bigger crappies in that lake if you can find them, also lots of smaller pike that can keep you b usy all day on tip-ups if you put some smaller shiners down. Just be careful around the aerator as the ice gets thin very fast.

If i happened to get a crappie are 2 out of there are they safe to eat??? Thanks for the info

i looked at the fish consumption advisories on the dnr web page and panfish are ok to eat in unlimited amounts unless you are a pregnant woman or a child, then it is suggested you eat only one meal per week. that being said, i have never eaten fish out of the lake, but yes, they are safe to eat. apparently they also stock the lake with adult bluegills and catfish.

Thanks alot,, if anyone know where to fish in the lake are how deep to fish it it would be great

WARNING: Careful where you park. Fished the lake last night (couple small nothren). When I got back to my truck, both the drivers side window and the rear drivers side window were broken. They got my briefcase with check book and all my work info, my leather jacket, and my tools. The cop says break-ins are very common at Como.

I guess I learned a lesson the hard way. Won't be back to try that lake again any time soon!!!

I lived a couple blocks from Como for 11 years. Sorry to say the lake went downhill, fast, the past two years due to fishing pressure.

Used to be a great northern lake, not only numbers, but some nice size fish. They're still there, but eight-flag hours for one guy are a thing of the past. Crappies were huge & numerous...until there was a slaughter, literally, a year ago this spring. Hundreds of nice crappies were taken out of the lake during spawn. There are still a few in there, nice ones, but the numbers are way, way down.

On the positive side, the sunnies seem to have exploded in the past couple of years & are of decent size, with a corresponding decline in perch size & numbers.

This is all due to pressure. Three years ago I'd have zero, one, maybe at most two guys for company out there. Last year I counted twenty folks out there one day, many keeping everything they caught.

I hate to rant, but this is a 66 acre lake! Put the (Contact US Regarding This Word) fish back in! I love to eat fish as much as the next guy, but haven't taken more than two fish out of the lake in any given year. I suspect it's not the folks on this site doing this, but let's try to keep these little gems productive.

Ya, I don't know what a guy can do about these break-ins. It was happening quite a bit at the public accesses during the summer. mad.gif I've never fished Como but I do see guys out there every year.

I drive by the lake every day as I work in Energy Park. I am amazed at how early and how close guys get to the open water during the winter. I am sure that this open water has a lot of oxygen and thus a were the fish hang out. But bieng that close to open water would still freak me out.

I saw people in the spring raping the lake with over harvest of very nice sized crappie. Hope the lake recovers, as stated very small and does not take much fishing pressure to adversely effect the fish population.