• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Phalen - Saturday, January 7

It appears many are interested in attending however with the iffy ice that exists in the metro this weekend does not appear to be an option and the following is X-mas eve. So I thought we could vote on the final date.

Either Saturday 12/31 or Saturday 1/7/06. Just respond with the date that best works and we will go with the majority. We will tally it up at the end of the week and plan the day.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr. Pike1

• maj330

• Jughead

• John Mickish

I said I would try, but I will be scouting Prior and a couple other lakes down here since I am hosting the annual fishing get together of college friends and other fools. I need to make a get together this winter somewhere....

Either works for me. I really would like to hit the saddle on the northern 1/3 of the lake it looks too good to be true, but have never fished it.

Count me in for either one of those days unless something comes up.

Sorry guys, I'm planning on being down in Rochester that weekend for the Foster clean up. Have fun and make sure to give us a report.

It is starting to look like the 7th is going to work for the majority. Good way to kick off the New Year !!!!

The lake is not that large so if we have enough people out there we should be able to get into some pike during the day on tip ups or jigging with the infamous Angle eyes or Glow Devils. Once dusk approaches I am hoping we find some eyes and crappie.

Hopefully we get a few willy Phalen veterans on the ice to share there knowledge.

My thoughts are to fish from 1:00-7:00. This will allow time to try to find pike and pannies in the afternoon and get settled into promising walleye or crappie water at dusk. I was orginally thinking we meet at that small parking lot by the access. If a large group we may have to meet at the larger lot by the beach to ensure adequate parking for all.

I made this topic sticky, I hope you don't mind...

I figured it would be easier for people to see and also keep it at the top... also allow people to see a listing of the Get Togethers this winter...

1/7 works for me. I'm realizing now how many lakes in the metro area that I've wanted to fish and never have. This could be fun!

Matt, thanks for adding this as a posty to keep it on top. Looks like right now we have 14 or 15 people that will be in for Phalen. Hopefully a few more will join in come 1/7/06. As I have said from the begining not a lake I really have any experience on. My honey holes are more in the west metro and St. Cloud area. Just nice and central to many.

If anyone were to happen to bring a grill on the ice I am certain I could fill that grill with some Johnsonville brats for all.

Mr. Pike1,

Good choice for a lake! I will be there. I definitely need help trying to figure this lake out! Not sure if everyone knows this or not but Phalen is a non-motorized lake so no ATV's or snowmobiles. Pack lite...I pulled my Yukon all the way across the north half of the lake tonite and it almost killed me. The new 8" of snow makes for slow going! 8" of ice and holding.

We may want to park in one of the lots in Phalen Park and walk out from there. The boat ramp access has limited parking, especially on a Saturday. Just a thought.

Metroeye, all good points as it relates to Phalen. I picked the lake because it is central to many in the St. Paul area. It is a lake I have not fished on the hard water and am interested in learning as well. I wish I had some secrets to share to crack the mystery of Phalen but alas I do not. Perhaps there will be a few veterans of the lake that show up and guide us to a succesful day or as a collective group we learn a thing or two.

Did I understand correct that you were finding 8" of ice? If so I may have to sneak down there one day before the event to try a little pre-fishing. Open water I have been there few times and found some monster pike and nice walleyes. How did you do? Any fish to report.

I have a few things on the honey do list but maybe I will find myself down there for a few hours on Saturday. If not there I have got to get out somewhere for a couple hours to get in my fishing fix.

Mr. Pike,

I have been out three times this year on the hard water at Phalen. I was skunked for the first time last nite in 11' of water over weeds. Marked a lot of small stuff but I was looking for hungry walleyes on the prowl. Last Tuesday evening I caught several walleyes and a nice large mouth bass. One of the walleyes was 19". Last Saturday nite I was out and I was catching northerns just shy of midnight which I thought was rather strange. All were small but still fun.

Yes, I measured 8" of ice the last two times out. All this snow is going to be a problem.

Just returned from a scouting trip of Round Lake (next to Phalen). Measured a consistent 6 inches of ice, some places a wee bit more, across Round. Deep Snow though!

Forgot to mention. The north end of Round lake was quite slushy under the 8 inches of snow but still about 6 inches of ice under that.

Mykay- Ee indeed need to hook up. I took this upcoming Thurday and Friday off of work and will be in the St. Cloud area fishing. It is suppose to be in the upper 20's. The perfect temp for ice fishing. I was hoping you and I could get on the horseshoe over at "the pinch" for some cats, eyes, and crappies. I love that little hole. I just hate the drive across the bay. And with all this snow that would be on heck of a walk...

May330- Good to see you are scouting Phalen. You may be the resident pro out there for the day. I went out there on Saturday for a few hours and had some success. The day started bad however. I had new blades on my auger and the last problem I foresaw was anything related to my strikemaster. I was wrong. On the fatefull first pull the old rip cord pulled out. Luckily there was another guy fishing by me and he borrowed me the auger.

I would like to join the crew out at phalen.....am i invited?....also for anyone who has a strikemaster lazer....I have ripped my cord out many a times and finally last winter did it one last time...after that i got smart and used a little stronger and smaller cord and added about an extra foot which was possible beacuse of the smaller diameter....I've never had it happen to me since....I think some of us have a little longer arms than others...