• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

New to the Twin Cities

Remmi_&_I

Hey all, I am new to the Twin Cities, by way of North Dakota. I am an avid pheasant hunter and would like some guidance in where to try my luck in this state. I am a huge believer in finding your own places to hunt from your windshield, but I have had NO luck this season. I went out a couple of days (3rd week of the season) and only saw 2 hens the entire time I hunted.

My question is, could you give me a good area to try out. I don't want your secret fields, but a narrowed down "general" area to try.

Thanks!

Depends how far you are willing to travel. Historically the West and SW areas of the state near Benson, Marshall on down to the Iowa border is the best, but you can find nice pockets of birds elsewhere.

This time of year is a great time as there are few crops and fewer hunters normally so you can hit public land with some success. I grew up in Hutchinson (straight West of Mpls on Hwy 7) and there are birds to be had there. Not the numbers of birds you will see farther West, but definitely better than what you have seen so far.

I have been seeing a ton of birds no matter where I have gone this year. I have hunted near Litchfield, Sauk Centre, St Cloud and have seen numbers of birds every time. More birds in the Litchfield and Sauk Centre areas though.

I was visting the Cities this weekend and brought my dogs (had Saturday free) and we flushed around 100 birds on public lands around Jordan. So there is some birds to be found, even pretty close to the metro.

I agree with the Captian, go West young man....go West.

I am new to hunting these fine birds but have been doing some searching on my own this year. Have done ok but was out near litchfield yesterday and the state land I walked looked like it had been walked heavy over the weekend. We only saw two roosters in the field but did see a lot of birds in area fields.

LovenLifeGuy

Remmi,

Hey...wondered what happened to you over on the nodak board. We exchanged a few posts last year about late season hunting. I posted the pictures with the lab and shelled out car.

I'm going out this weekend. Shoot me an e-mail...maybe we can hook up. thartleben @ mccainassociates.com

I look at the Nodak Board everyday but I am honestly depressed about not being there for hunting season so I rarely post!

I hear you. I do the same thing.

Seriously...I'm going somewhere southwest to chase pheasants on Saturday. Might be one other guy going....might just be me. Shoot me an email if you would like to go! I've never hunted behind a weinerrammer! wink.gif

Splat,

Once you hunt behind a "Gray Ghost" you'll want to own one!!!

I'm headed down towards Atwater this weekend and then maybe farther SW if we aren't finding the birds we want.

Best of luck to everyone taking advantage of the final couple weeks of the season.

Remmi,

Good to see a fellow FM member owning a "Blue" Mine is going on four and I usually take her hunting around the New Salem area with the in-laws. Personality is great and the look i feel is second to none.

My dog is quite the creature. I swear she thinks she is still only weighs 15lbs, is a human being, owns my house-car-truck, and decends from royalty smirk.gif

You guys got pic of your Blues?? Our is Mouse-Gray. She also thinks she is above the k-9 level and has made my 4 year old lab into her personal chew toy.

These stories sound very familiar. I will try to find a picture of my blue and maybe my computer savy wife will post it for me. They sure are a beautiful breed with alot of character, but mellow is definetely not a word I would use with my dog grin.gif

YEP I WILL BE A GO ON SATURDAY MORNING. I THINK I HAVE CHRISTMAS ON THE MISSES SIDE ON SATURDAY BUT THATS NOT UNTIL LATER IN THE AFTERNOON AND I AM SURE IF OUR HUNTING SPILLS INTO THAT TIME SHE'LL UNDERSTAND! STAN AND I WERE MAKING THE PLAN LAST NIGHT ON THE WAY HOME FROM GANDER. WE HAD TO PICK UP A H20 C