• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Can anyone tell me how to get to North Lake by Hastings? Has anyone been on it lately? Thanks, Tom

North Lake is south of Hastings,about 10 miles.It is a poster child for what is happening to the Mississippi river and it's backwaters...sedimentation.I used to fish it a lot,15 to 20 years ago and at that time,I got in on the tail end of what once was some fantastic fishing.Over the years,sedimentation and the resulting habitat degradation has very negatively affected this lake and it no longer produces like it once did.I know that it still gets fished some and guys still pull a few out of there but,it is a mere shadow of it's former self.

thanks troutman. do you know where they fish. is it a easy hike to pull the portable out from the landing. thanks

If you look to the right of the landing,on the same side of the lake you are standing on,you will see a couple of points,The first one,which is not really a point at all,is about 1/2 mile down the shoreline.There are usually a couple of shacks off that "point".This area used to be very good.Another area is,basically,from the launch,to that first "point",at about mid-lake.That whole stretch has produced at times.You may see signs of fishing activity in that whole area.There used to be some old timers that would drag some type of cover...usually trees,into that mid-lake stretch during open water and then,set their shack up over that cover and do very well.If you would be so lucky as to drill holes over some old trees or logs,you just might get some fish.This time of year,right through New Years,used to be prime time on North Lake.Let us know how you do if you fish it.

Geez,now you've got me thinking of giving my favorite old haunt another try. wink.gif

Just a side note.I think maybe this post would be more appropriate in the Mississippi River Pools 2 & 3 category.

Hey Troutman. what species of fish are in North. I have no experience in fishing the river. I might head over there next week.

thanks, Tom

At some point in time during the year,probably every species of fish that inhabits the Mississippi river makes it's way in and out of North Lake.If you're planning on ice fishing it,concentrate on crappies.In my experience,that has always been the main species of pursuit.I have seen walleyes,northerns,silver bass and sunfish caught through the ice on North but,by far,more crappies than anything.