• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Black Spots in Meat

Yesterday Crappie Tom was talking about the Black Spots on the sunnies and crappies out at Chesterwoods and I guess I was wondering what exactly causes them and how harmful is it to eat fish with them in it. The reason I ask is I have a neighbor that says he fishes out there and eats the fish, I guess I don't want to if there are ill side-effects?? Does anyone have any info on this? In addition, are there some places to go in the area that a person could keep some of them tasty sunnies or crappies without having to worry so much about the black spots?

FH,

Take a look here

http://www.fishingminnesota.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB28&Number=488186&Forum=,f28&Words=black%20spots&Searchpage=1&Limit=99&Main=488186&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=&daterange=1&newerval=2&newertype=y&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev=#Post488186

You will find the same thing from most of the sunnies at Willow Creek. The post above describes what they are and it goes on to say that you can eat the fish, but they should be fully cooked. I've eaten them once and I know they are eaten every day by other individuals in the Rochester area. I think there is also information on the DNR website or by doing a "search engine" search.

I'm pretty sure that the CC Manor Pits and Foster Arends and Lake Zumbro are "clean" fish.

Thanks Tyler I will go and check that posting out. I assumed that Foster Arends was okay but was not sure. That is great to know about the other places as well, I have never fished those pits, always heard people go out there and do well, but never had an opportunity arise.

Catch Ya Later

The spots and yellow flukes will not harm you when cooked. I just don't want to get my protein from these sources.

I don't blame you, I'm thinking that I would rather not either. Especially if you can get fish elsewhere that are healthier fish. Thanks for the heads up CT