• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

MNDNR's Draft Lake Superior Managment Plan

The Minnesota DNR is taking comments on the Draft Lake Superior Managment Plan, http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/areas/fisheries/lakesuperior/lsmpinput.html If you fish Lake Superior this plan will have some level of impact on you. Sorry for the short notice on this but the information was posted on their site sometime this weekend.

Interesting but long report. Would like spend more time reviewing. Interested in others thoughts. Recommendations being made to eliminate stocking of chinook based upon low return rates to the French. I am not sure that is the best method to base such recommendation upon but I am certainly no expert. Anecdotally, my personal success with catching king salmon the past several years seems much higher than it was in the late 1980s-early 90s. We usually have some king salmon succes on most trips, sometimes multiple. Perhaps these are mostly from natural reproduction? I think everyone agrees that the lake trout fishery has been very consistent fishery. I would really hate to see the salmon fishery decline.

It looks like some Minnesota's Lake Superior Non-profits are going to have to start doing the work the DNR isn't. I read where WI and MI are going to be cutting back their stocking efforts also. I know that the Apostle Islands group have been in a Salmon stocking effort for a little bit. What does the WLSTA do with their money? Is there any other group around that could/would work with the DNR to continue the stocking efforts, because lets be honest anyone can do twice as much with half the money that it take a goverment agency to do.