• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Just wondering if anyone has been out on either of this lakes yet? and if anyone is cating anything and ice conditions?

Have not been there yet, but had good luck there last year. I am also looking to move that direction this weekend. I saw in Outdoor News that fish were biting just like they were last year. Does anyone know if it is safe to walk out across loon to the rock bar on the north side? Thanks

I would not try to get to walk too far out on loon yet. Ice is very spotty, some spots 6",..some 3"...depends on where you drill. Haven't heard of any fish geting pulled out of there lately.

I went out tonight and fished from 4:30 to 10:30 pm. Had three bites and caught 2 eyes that maybe were 12". There is hardly any snow left on the ice and was about 8" of ice. I think the heavy snow we got pushed what little bit of ice we had down and flooded the snow and froze again because it felt like I drilled through 2 layers of ice.

rip_some_lip were you the one with the red house? I was snowmobiling by there and saw someone pulling a red house down the landing.

I Think they get it from the bobber shop if I remember correctly. I dont have my last copy handy, but after each post in the paper for the diffrent areas, it usually has a business after the post, which I assume is the source of the info.

This is the second time this year I've seen Outdoor News Fishing report on Lake Crystal/Loon. The report is missing one piece of information: most of the walleyes are 12-13 inches, and should be released. Just to let all you guys know that I live in Lake Crystal and have been driving to other lakes because I can't justify spending 4-5 hours for 1 or 2 12-14 inch walleyes.

Good call brava. I second that. Although, invariably, they're people who consider those small size walleyes as rather nice perch! Some people have no concept of catch and release. I fished Crystal a few years ago when they had just put them in as fry. My fatheads were bigger. Hopefully they can grow to a harvestable size. Minimum 15" statewide is what I'd like to see, but that will never happen. Good luck.

You guys are right, alot of the fish there were small, around the 12 inch size, but most days we were able to find a number of keepers, the 15-18 range.

There are some hogs on these lakes and if you can fish and deal with the little ones you will be rewarded. You should probably toss the little guys back. Watch out for big crappies too.

Fished Loon tonite for about 2 hrs. I caught and released 2 little walleye, a 11 incher and a 13 incher. I know there are some nice ones in the lake. You do need to put in the time to get them.

I've always questioned the accuracy of those types of reports. I always find it to be more useful to find out for myself!

Good point. But, it's tough be beat being able to validate a report by pounding the water yourself!

Has anyone been out on Loon the last few days? I am wanting to try and get the permanent out hopefully today but I havent been out there in over a week. How are the ice conditions with this warm weather?

I would wait till this warm spell passes, you could get it out there with a 4 wheeler but you will sink will end up freezing you house in, which may make it hard to move... when it freezes again..

I drove by Loon and Crystal on Sunday afternoon, and my eyes may have been seeing things! I saw two full size trucks on the far side of Loon! The trucks were a little to the right but almost on the opposite side of the lake almost straight out from the landing! I must have been seeing things! Two full size trucks! Anywho, that is my two cents worth! Not sure what was biting or when the bite was on! I just could not believe two trucks on the ice! Still cant believe it!

Good Luck and be safe!

there are a copuple crazy people out there with vehicles. There is about 10 inches of ice. I have yet to figure out how to fish and catch anything. I have a house out there, (8x12 I think-red) Stop by , say hi, and feel free to give us a few lessons on how to catch some walleys.-Later!

Dustin

I got my house out today and found 12" of ice everywhere I drilled. I saw a small truck drive to the rock bar and another car out at a house. The ice looks good and solid where I was. I fished from 3 pm until 9 pm and caught 1 eye around 11 inches and that was between 4 of us. I hope it picks up soon! I will try again tomorrow night but think I wil try Madison during the day.