• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

ok, really... do they work...or not???

olbaidhh

Question

I have been gettting conflicting reports from best thing since sliced bread to biggest waste of $$$ EVER!

I am wondering about the underwater camera's and not from guys who are pushing the products...guys who have them (if you can even get one)

Lets say I got the best $$$ can buy so brand and model is not a factor

What lakes do they work on or more-so DO NOT?

LOW, URL, Winnie, The big V, Metro Lakes?

Does the water have to be crystal?

Do they even have a prayer of working at night?

Can they replace the Finder?

What else am I missing?

7 answers to this question

I've got one of the 1st cameras out. The old Marcum OVS. I have had no problems with it. The only lake that I had trouble seeing much on was Chisago. It wasn't a very clear lake. Other than that, they're a great tool for seeing what's down there, especially rock piles, mud, gravel, sand. We've found a few rock piles with this that were pretty effective. It's another option. I wouldn't use it for mainly fishing, but more research.

I don't have a lot of experience with cameras at night...

In my opinion, if all you fish is 100% cyrstal clear water you COULD get by with the camera...

If it were me I would by a flasher (vexilar, marcum, pick your poison) long before I ever got a flasher.

Underwater camera's do not work very well on Lake of the Woods due to the stained water...

I'd pick up a cheap FL-8 / LX-3 if you were really set on getting a camera, use that for a year and then use the money you saved on the flasher and get a camera next year...

I think you'll find the flasher to be a much more valuable tool... you won't have to drill a hole to check depth where as you would have to with a camera...

marine_man

The best part of the camera is the jigging techniques you will learn while using one. They are best used to find structure, identify species, and watch which technique triggers the most bites. They work well even in these dirtier southern Minnesota Lakes. The IR lighting on some of the cheaper models work well but will show any particles floating in the area as well as the fish. The lighting on the Marcum vs460 and 560 as well as the lighting on the Aquavu DT and ZT series tend to keep that to a minimum. I have had the the opportunity to fish with a Scout, ZT, and the Marcum VS560. IMO the scout is the best buy for the money. I purchased the new Scout XL this year because of the 7" monitor. Marcum came out with a camera for $200 this year, but I was talking to the manager of one of the local bait shops this year and they had a couple of demo models burn out just sitting on the shelf. I spent the last two years looking at the cameras and went with the one I thought was the best value. If your expecting the camera to put more fish on ice you will be dissappointed. Once you tailor your technique, then you will see the rewards. The biggest advantage I have personally seen, is the ability to identify species. I you are targeting 'eyes, for example, and your flasher says there are fish down there, but you can't seem to hook any, toss the camera down the hole and see what is down there. I have found myself jigging on Sheephead more than once. That saved me a lot of un-needed flustration. Once I found the 'eyes, I was able to see what they responded to and was able to ice a few. If you buy a camera, you will eventually find yourself trying to "spoon feed" the fish. It doesn't work. Good luck.

Either way you still need a VEX....

That's fine I guess I will just keep out fishing you.

This is the guy that keeps asking how far off the bottom are they now! grin.gif

They work. If you buy one you will be able to drop them down on your favorite spots and find out how your mental picture of the area was off. I never use mine in the open water. Some times you cant see a thing due to the murky water. It is a toy to me that is incredible when I find the exact spot I want to put my fish house. I learn a lot whatching my lure and its action and seeing when the fish (on the vex) turn from perch to walleyes. Tremendous learning tool but I, if I had to pick only one would hands down take any depthfinder over the camera. Forget night,I shut mine off because of all the crud and plankton reflect and screw up the image. What I like is that about the time I would have to turn on the light the walleyes show up. Interesting enough is that snow cover and clouds only change that time by minutes. Thats my experience.

The camera is a good learning tool, but get a flasher fisrst. I don't use my camera after dark. With the llight on the screen usually ends up looking like a blizzard after just a few minutes. I'm still not sure how the light affects the fish either. You never see any manufactures claim that the light attracts fish or that it will not scare them away! So that makes me wonder.