• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Reports?

Turk

Hey, anybody getting any crappies? I was out last wednesday and I found 3-5 inches of ice, fished for three hours without any craps?

Then I hit a favorite walleye lake in my area, and did well for numbers but not in the size department.

Turk

Hi Turk,

My first trip out there Sunday afternoon in front of Bayport beach yielded no fish, but it was still good to get out. I fished from 28-33 feet of water. Marked a few but who knows what.

Hunt4food,

I played video games with chasers everywhere I went but few takers? That river really gets very time dependant for the ice bite versus an open water bite. I usually do best for crappies in the morning.

I saw a trap up near the power plant yesterday? a bit gutsy so my taste.

Turk

Turk ;;;;

Spent the day out there on Saturday,with only a few fish for the effort.I was planning on heading up to the big pond on Sunday but my buddy had some xmas shoppin to finish.Hit the croix for a couple of hours in the afternoon .Managed only 1 crappie and 1 wally.

I guess some folk are walking over to the wisconsin side now but I havent heard of anyone tearin it up yet.A friend was pokin holes on the way across today and found only a couple of inches of ice in some areas yet.He also said he saw a wheeler pullin a small permanent out.Please use caution out there guys,with this snow were suppose to get its gonna delay things even more.Turk when you gonna show me your secret ice spots? grin.gif

I was on the wisc. side sat. fish on the vex all day, got 3 crappies and other gargage, w.bass, mooneye, sheephead, small sauger. seems like the same old pattern over the past 3 years, poor and very inconsistant crappie fishing. I can see others have been frustrated too. very few people out for first ice. i actually did get 7 crappie last thurs, probably a fluke. i think ice fishing may die off down there, i;m about at my breaking point and i think sinker is too and he is down there even more than me. i will try the open water this weekend.

Maybe a dumb question but why does everyone fish Bayport in the winter? It isn't that great in the summer compared to other areas of the Croix. Is there something that causes the fish to move to that area during hard water season. I have been on the Croix twice in the last week in other areas and done well. I am just wondering why the only reports you ever see are from the same spot. Again, maybe a very obvious answer that I am not aware of. grin.gifgrin.gif

Trollerx, I think accessibility plays a big role in why people fish bayport. I have not been down to ice fish the river north of prescott, but I am guessing it gets hit pretty hard too since parking is right there. I personally don't know how good the ice is in other areas of the river and don't want to fall in searching around. I would like to fish other areas, but I am not equipped to do a lot of searching. I have heard people ice fish around Afton and there are probably many other good areas if one has a snowmobile or 4 wheeler to do some searching. One would think around st croix bluffs would hold some fish, but it is rumored to have currents around there that make ice conditions poor. Any thoughts?

I have to say I'm with TRZ on this one.It has declined in the last few years down there.It's nice and close so I will keep trying it now and again if I have a few hours.This year I've been down there three times.Was skunked twice trying to get the lookers to take anything I could try.Once I caught two white bass and a 10" crappie.But after a person gets home from getting his butt kicked by the river,you start to think about where you could try next time and that it might be the trip that you "hit it big".It's a challenge,that's for sure.Anyone have any theories as to why it isn't what it used to be?From the lack of fishermen I'm seeing down there, I know it's not just me.

TrollerX,

Anglers hit the Bayport area because the ice is far safer than the other areas of the river and when the slabs go its awesome, these fish aren't the average skinny 10 inchers they are thick 14" crappies that fight! It's just a matter of time (and maybe this is another off year)till they go, maybe the year classes are down? You know guys do fish memories. I will say that I have always done better out there on the ice in January for crappies anyway.

Croixeyes - You're the guy with the secret spots, remember last year in the Bait shop when you told me you hammered the walleye and then just told me "this and that" about where this spot was? I went hungry and you just complained about how dull your fillet knife has become.

Turk....

Id tell you where I was last year but I dont want you fishing memories he he..I got some new places to check out this winter but will probably wait till the ice thickens .Ill get ahold of you after xmas maybe we can do some searching for the elusive eyes.By then my knife should be sharpened and ready for action. grin.gif

Sounds like lot's of secrets! I'll bet you guys aren't fishing Bayport every time either. THe ice is plenty thick in lot's of places that have a bit more current and plenty more fish right now. I'll be listening for a wheeler outside the portable. The slabs are the same size in most places on the Croix! If your lucky you might even find a lucky rock pile that holds fish all year long! Good fishing!! grin.gifgrin.gif

TrollerX, what advice would you give to someone who has not fished the Croix during the winter? Places to start? Safe Ice areas? Sounds like you have some good experience there and I would like to know more if your willing to point me in the right direction. Thanks for any and all advice.

JIGGIN, One thing to remember is this is a river. Most people fish bayport because the area is more like a lake and ices up well. I fish bayport a few times a year and it can be a great area at the right time and downright slow another. I spend quite a bit of time in other areas but cannot say to much... Sorry. Like the others said its more of a access issue. Once you get south of the hudson bridge you have to be carefull. You cannot get to most spots unless you can access that direct area and the ice can change dramaticly in a day or two. Unless you were with someone who know the area very good its not worth exploring unexperienced. Giving bayport a try is a good start. I dont mean to scare you away but giving the limited access and ice conditions people dont say to much. Good luck if you do get out smile.gif

I agree for safety sake. I would also say that I would fish the Prescott access every day and twice on Sunday over Bayport. In my opinion Bayport has been a very slow place to fish for several years. One other thing to remember about a river is that you often don't have to be far from shore to be on the fish. I have many access areas that I fish from in the river just because I am from the area and know people that let me on. There are some excellent fishing areas close to shore if you can get on. I would not go roaming around looking for places unless you are with someone. You may want to hire Turk or find someone that knows the area if you do that. Prescott is safe as long as you start by going where everyone else goes until you get familiar. There are lot's of fish in the area if you can find them!! I will be out again on Sunday and will leave a report then. grin.gifgrin.gif

Good luck!

Jiggin..

The best advice I can give you is to wait until we have close to 20 inches of ice to work with.The snow cover is gonna delay that buildup for awhile.Remember even though the current on the Croix is minimal it still affects ice conditions.Both Bayport and Prescott areas have current.The deeper we get into winter youll see roads and groups of people fishing .The ones you see off on their own usually know that they are on safe ice.Stop and pop holes to check ice depth if you go exploring.Its hard to learn it all in one winter so you may want to pick one area and learn it well.

Ps.if you see Trollerx down in prescott mark his rock pile on your gps and post the coordinates here so we can start a village there grin.gifgrin.gif

You will have to squint your eyes until they are just about closed if you are trying to look from Prescott. Fished Big Round Lake tonight. Lot's of numbers but not so great for size. Those river slabs are tough to beat. You really have to downsize your presentation this year in order to get the fish to turn on! I don't know why I even carry those bobbers around all winter anyway! grin.gifgrin.gif

Croixeyes,

Get a hold of trollerX and get you and me invited to his rockpile so we can Hammer 'em! True troller the craps are big in many places on the river. The bayport area is nice because it's a basin (and close to my home) and you can hop out of the truck and have a shot at getting crappies anywhere.

I was out late afternoon/tonight and got a 19inch sauger, that fought hard, in 34 feet of water just on the transition zone. The saugers are going at a decent rate. We got a few walldads a few days before and a few decent saugers as well. So i guess it's not a bad bite, Good eats anyhow!!!

Keep catchin'

Turk

Good report from Bayport Turk. That is the most favorable report I have seen this winter. I guess my point to those that want to give up on winter river fishing is that there is much more to it than the same spots that I fished when I was a kid in Bayport. I am sure the good ol' days of easy slab limits will return. IN the meantime though, you can still get a limit if you look around at a few spots rather than sitting still. Keeping in mind the limitations of safety, treat it like summer fishing. Find a few places to drive or walk on. There are several between Stillwater and Prescott. It is still a great place to fish in the winter. You can fish every lake in the metro and not find a better size fish than the Croix. They are awfully tasty as well.

I will gladly show you and Croixeyes the location of the double secret spot. I am not sure that either of you need another place to fish but ok! In return, you guys can show me how to consistantly pull fish during the water level change periods. I am referring to the days immediately following the change. I have the night bite in the summer and fall nailed so this is the missing link for me. The fish scatter and cannot be found other than one here and one there. I am not sure I will be able to figure it out on my own. Sounds like a more than equitable trade to me. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

TrollerX and Jiggin',

Trollerx that sounds like a good trade to me! Croixeyes can likely only show you a few bullhead spots, he says he eats them raw just like he did as a kid when he was growing up in Iowa!

Jiggin' I have seen at least a dozen guys in the Bayport area, and also four wheelers have pulled on a few permanent shacks so far. So I'd say it is shaping up.

It's time to Hammer the crappies!!!

Keep catchin'

Turk

CroixEyes,

Where did you grow up in Iowa? I lived on the Sippi in Northeast Iowa for 4 years. The darn thing really smells down there and the Eyes glow a little! They sure are big though and easy to catch. My wife is from the Quad Cities. You know you are almost to her house when you have to change the air in the car to recirculating rather than outside air cause of the fertilizer!! I have never met nicer people and I am sure Turk is just jealous of your ability to catch multiple species under any condition! I noticed a couple guys fishing that structure by the Hudson bridge tonight! Bravery or stupidity?? grin.gifgrin.gif

TrollerX.

I grew up north of the Quads in Clinton.You dont want those windows down in the south end of town, thanks ADM.Pool 13 was where i did my fishin.Great crappie and bass and good for eyes and saugs.Turk is just afraid to eat sushi but he will change his mind when I feed him a mudpuppy roll.Jiggin,I was out sunday for a bit .There was close to 8 inches of ice on the wisconsin side.Three hours got me a few nice crappie two eyes a nice silver and Turks favorite quarry the much misunderstood mooneye.The crappie wouldnt take a minnow but a minnow head on small ice jig got them going.I didnt have waxies or eurolarva with but that may be another option.

Troller those guys fishing that area in Hudson can have it .That ice changes to fast for my taste,thats why I have a camera so I dont have to get wet to see fish.

I lived an hour north in Dubuque. Fishing was great upstream in Prairie Du Chein Area. I like fishing the Croix alot more though. Are you guys fishing over the holiday weekend at all. I, oddly enough, am going to be in the Quad Cities visiting the in-laws. I may get out on Monday. In light of the 2 favorable reports I have now read I may have to fish Bayport once. Are you guys driving out yet?

Trollerx.. Im not drivin on the river yet.No atv for me,if I had one I would be though.Ive got vacation next week but ill be headin down to Chi-town for Xmas.Wont be able to get out til next Friday so ill need you guys to keep me informed about the latest action.Everyone have a safe and happy holiday.. smile.gif

Turk, Troller, Croixeyes, thanks for all the advice and tips for fishing on the river. I am planning on giving it a go on Friday for most of the day. Do you have any tips on the presentations you guys like to use out there. Does The standard jigging spoons and swimmin' minnnows work well or do you guys favor slip bobber lines? A little of each? Deeper water sounds like the place to start. I like deadsticking too. Tip-ups? Thanks for your help!!!

Crapp's I like a very small glow jig tipped with a maggot/Waxie. I also use a very small pink/white jig (Not sure of the name) tipped with a minnow. Very good river combo!!

Eye's I am a little different because I stick with a 1/8 jig/minnow combo normally. I change colors often and glow or no glow depending on weather/snow conditions. Lot's of snow on the river now so keep that in mind.

The biggest factor on the river is finding positive fish! I mean fish that will have some dang grub when you give it to them. I will not sit still very long. Drill - Look - Fish - move. I will move every 15 minutes if I am not whacking fish. Sometimes I don't stop at all depending on what I see. They are there somewhere, you just have to find them!! Have fun and remember to post a report please. We do read them and learn from each other! smile.gifsmile.gif

Just great, I joke about Croixeyes favorite fish the bullhead and I start an Iowa reunion!!! ha.

Jiggin',

My tip would be that I like to use jiggin' raps or Nils masters with or without fish pieces. If I opt for bait, I'll mainly use the head. Trollerx makes a valid point that applies everywhere --to keep moving. One tough part about fishing for crappies on the Bayport area is there is so much basin of 34 to 37 feet. Look for anything a bit different.

I also put out a sauger article on my site today, this may help.

Keep Catchin'

Turk

I grew up north ofthe quad cities in Clinton too! Pools 13 and 14 were my backyard with a lot of great backwater ice fishin!

Gonna hit the bayport area tommorrow (Friday) for most of the day. Anyone with a recent report? I will be sure to post what happened when I'm done Tomorrow night.

I will be heading out in the later afternoon Friday. I need to drive out Medina and have a talk with the people at Clam crazy.gif I should be out there around 3:30-4:00 I will be in a Clam Pro by myself. Stop by for a cold one if you want.

Tom

[email protected]