• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Nokomis

Buckyfan01

I was planning on checking out Nokomis after work tonight, I have noticed a couple people fishing it already this winter. Any reports?

Be careful where you go. There is some thin spots out there. I have found ice variations of a few inches in a few feet. Nothing like sitting on 5" and walk 10' to drill anouther hole and there is 2"... that was at Nokomis 2 night ago.

Do not go far from shore if you do go out there. A little perch(very small) action is all thats happening. I would highly recommend letting the ice get solid for another week on Nokomis. If you are fishing the west side, stay clear of the culvert south of the access. A bunch of water poured out of it a few days ago rotting all the ice near shore between the culvert, and ran to near the access. The water has come up more than a foot during the warm snap with the rain a week ago(Minnehaha creek overflowed).

Be careful, or you will go swimming there right now.

Good luck, be safe.

Also(it should go without saying,but just in case), stay away from the bridge. I'm not even in the cities right now and I can tell you that near and under the bridge is unsafe ice if there is even any there yet. Lot's of freezing/thawing/shifting goes on under there and I won't step foot near it until the rest of the lake's got a foot of ice if then.

Little tip for early ice walleyes in nokomis, stay shallow! Good luck, can't wait to get back and fish.

Hey Lunker, you are right on about the depth for walleyes. We fished about 15 FOW and got a fair amount of small walleyes. After 7:30pm they shut off completely. The ice is in decent shape close to shore, about 20 yards out, I didn't go any further than that, and I certainly was not going near the bridge.

I walked out there yesterday and talked to a couple of guys who were on the west shore south of the landing and north of the bridge about 10 yards off of shore. There was 5" of ice and were in about 10 feet of water. I watched them catch one small eye.

hey yellow, I was one of the guys you talked to last night. Do you ice fish any other lakes close to minneapolis?

I have really worked a lot on Nokomis ice-fishing for walleyes in the winter and muskie in the summer fall. I really want to try some other lakes like harriet/calhoun but i don't really know much about those lakes. I think that I going to head to nokomis on friday night after work.

sounds good. I will probably be out there around 5 till whenever. The wifey is going out with friends so I'm not going home till the fish stop biting.

I was out last night and caught 3 missed another one. All pretty small biggest being about 15". Once decent perch too. I am heading out tonight. I may try harriet this weekend. I was at the bait shop on Lyndale and 58th and saw some pictures of some nice eyes caught out there.

i will probably be south of the landing. I was also thinking of going out in front of the beach. I will be out there around 5 and fishing until around 9. Either way I will be on my bucket in a yellow jacket.