• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

my fishing report for 12-9,10,11th

Alagnak

Pulled out light sleeper on westwinds with my wheeler. After 2 days of driving wind and drifting snow pulling off was tougher. Base camped out about 3/4 mile and tip-up fished pike part of days. Lots of smaller fish and 5-7 lbs. One 38" was biggest, nice fish though (17 lb.). Lots of walleyes of course too. Went on a couple run-n-gun missions out a few miles in multiple directions with the Otter Mag for crappies with no luck. Just w-eyes. Still caught many more eyes in shallower though (6-8ft.) while fishing the pike. Talked to many people crappy fishing with no good news and spear guys weren't seeing much either. Ice was 12-18 inches most places. There was one good crack and leakage from in front of WW to over towards Hillmans that no one was driving over. You can go around it though. PLEASE WATCH OUT!!! Some very lazy spear fisherman have left plenty of ice blocks around to hit with machines. mad.gif

Over all, lots of action though no crappies. frown.gif

Pete

Thanks for the fishing report!

I'm going crazy waiting to pull up my sleeper. Were there many houses out on the lake yet. I usually go through West Wind also. Seems like every year first ice is tough for crappies up there. I don't know if it is just that they are farther out or that there aren't as many people fishing them.

Yea, we had to expect this... with the large population of walleye in the lake... they have to eat something... Crappies exploded during the time when the walleye were fished out, now the walleye are back, the crappie hayday is done I'm afraid. I did better for crappie on local lakes last year, got to change with the situation... no worries.. there are other lakes.!!

Good luck all

Even though the walleye population is expanding we are still going to have two good year classes of crappies for the next few years. Last year I caught fish in the 8-10 range with most of them being to the 95 year class of 13-14 inch fish. Been successful all but three times on red in the last five years, i don't expect this year to be any different, because let's face it, there isn't any way a walleyes are going to eat the predominent existing year classes. The younger classes of crappies are going to be hurt, and that we will see in the near future.