• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Digital tach/hour meter experience?

Fish On! Guide Service

Question

Anyone have any information regarding aftermarket digital hour/tach meters? I'd like to purchase one but I have no experience with who makes a decent/dependable unit. I've considered mechanical units but I don't feel like dropping a C-note on two units if i don't have to (if you have info. on decent inexpensive mechanical units, feel free to post also). The meters would be going on a 2004 40hp Yammy 2 stroke if this helps. I've done some research and it looks like the digital combo can be had for approximately $45. One major concern is how well do they hold up in freezing temperatures? LCD's usually don't do well in cold so I'd hate to just throw $45 down the tubes just to have the display freeze and be useless. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Stephen

5 answers to this question

I don't think cold will influence the gauge, they can go below zero quite a bit, but you won't be useing your boat anyway.

You might want to check again about pricing, I find very hard to believe Yamaha selling a digital tach/hour for $ 45.

If you need an inexpensive tach (mechanical) let me know, but I don't have any hour meters or combos.

Hi Valv,

You're correct. I was referring to aftermarket. As you're probably well aware, Yammy is incredibly expensive for Yammy gauges. I called once on them and that was enough. Somewhere in the neighborhood of $150 per piece. Do you have a tach meter with all necessary wiring to make this work? If so, drop me an email at minnesotawalleye @ aol with pricing and particulars.

Thanks,

Stephen

Any reason you couldn't use something like the minitach, or one of the other multitude of small tachometer / hourmeter combinations?

B0000AXCND.01-A1787XOD7Q2I4M._SCMZZZZZZZ

I think they're around 50 bucks...

I agree with Valv's comment in regard to the cold and the LCD screen... I know someone who had one in their car for quite a while and it held up in the ND Winters without any problem...

marine_man

Fish On -yamaha makes a great digital grade but if you are not going to go with yamaha i would go with Tele Flex. very good gauge.

The digital unit posted above is one of a few that I've looked into. Thanks for the post.