• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Ice Thickness on red lake

Jiffy Man

Hi, I am planning on heading up 2 red lake this weeknd 12/16/05 and i was wondering if anybody knows of the ice thickness, because I want to bring up my permanent but im pretty sure there isn't enuf ice. does anybody know how much there is? Thanks for replying

first off welcome jiffy man. i was up this weekend 12-10. we went out about 4 miles and there was around 14 inches. helped a guy out around 6 or 7 miles out and he said he had 18 inches.

iceman

Fished all weekend, same ice report as others. I drove my truck out only to rescue my busted 4 wheeler. The resorts just don't have plowed roads all the way yet. The cold weather seemed to come on fast and not everyone is on top of things at this point. I'm sure this week it will be fast and furious to get plowed so everyone can get out the sleepers to rent. I would not worry about brining yours up as long as you're not driving out a one ton dually.

Pete

Quote:

Fished all weekend, same ice report as others. I drove my truck out only to rescue my busted 4 wheeler. The resorts just don't have plowed roads all the way yet. The cold weather seemed to come on fast and not everyone is on top of things at this point. I'm sure this week it will be fast and furious to get plowed so everyone can get out the sleepers to rent. I would not worry about brining yours up as long as you're not driving out a one ton dually.

Pete

Now Ill give you some good advice, call ahead and ask the resort you planning on going out of when THEY feel it is safe for them to start plowing THEIR roads. If the resorts were not "on top of things" they wouldnt have their roads marked out as far as they feel safe as it has been posted that they already do. No offense intended, just post what you know.

Thanks alot guys for the replies. They're helpful, so I think I'll bring up my sleeper for sure since it's just a 7x13.. Thanks again for the replies, and I'll see some of you at the Slabfest

Jiffy Man

Quote:

and not everyone is on top of things at this point.

I don't think you can fault the resorts because Mother Nature isn't making ice fast enough. You need to remember that all ice is not equel. This stuff we have this year froze during high wind so it has a lot of whitish soft stuff on top that has very little strength. I think the resorts have done a very good job getting what roads they do have out there. Highs in the 20's and 30's are not exactly good weather for making ice. Maybe I'm "not on top of things" but my plow trucks and houses are staying on shore for a few more days.

Man- some of you guys really jump on words- I thought it was my old lady reading that post? You guys not 'being on top of things' obviously wasn't descriptive enough if you took offense by it. I was talking in general about many things I observed over the weekend like a buisness owner I know that didn't have his snow machines or shacks ready, or a bait shop I was in that didn't have hardly any minnows because they said "the cold weather hit them off guard". It by no means was a slam on any one, or any one's roads or ice decisions! How can cold weather hit you off guard in Dec in Northern Minnesota?

I'm coming up Friday Evening. I've rented a room for the first time at Shooks Motel, so I'll only have to drive a half hour to go to bed. I usually have to drive all the way back to Thief River Falls at 3:00 in the morning! Not too fun. I'm a late night person, but some things just aren't smart.

Anyways, I'm gonna go out of Rogers after I stop at the good ole Waskish Minnow Station to pick up a few new lures and a couple good scoops of minnows. Plan on getting on the lake by 5:00pm, but we all know how that goes. Gonna fish till I'm too tired to continue.

I plan on fishing Saturday too, unless the fishing was horribly slow for me, then I'm heading for Lake of the Woods to try for some Eye's I can keep. It will be fun either way, Lake of the woods is having their "Get Together Saturday too.

I'm just bringing my truck, (sled not running right now) but from the sounds of things, that should be O.K. I drive a little Ford Ranger, so weights not going to be an issue, I just hope I can get off the road somewere, then it's time to start the long pull! tongue.gif I like to get away from the crowds, and I'll do it any way possible.

Can't wait to get there. Upper Red Lake is different than any other lake for me. For some reason I keep coming back. I could get skunked every trip and I would still come back, I don't know if it's the Late Night fishing after dark or the chance at getting into the Crappies, windmilling the walleye (then releasing), or catching 100 perch in a few hours? But I love fishing there, I'll be sure to have a report when I get back. grin.gif

I hope there will be some minnows for me? grin.gif

I just have to remember to grab my bag on my way out, evertime I stop at the minnow station it seems I start driving off before realizing I forgot the only thing I stopped there for, my minnows. Those darn Waskish Folks are too talkative! grin.gif

Every year is a new and different situation and this year most of us thought that we would not be on the ice until after Christmas but it got cold fast and made ice just as fast.

It is not the best ice I have ever seen but it is not bad, yes I have found as much as 15 inches of ice 2 miles out but I also have found just as much or more ice less than 12 inches closer in under the snow drifts. Too much snow early on has caused quite a bit of slush under the snow and that has made it difficult to plan a straight and wide road, what we need now is another cold spell and no more snow or wind.

I would hesitate to bring out the permanent houses at this time for that very reason, it may look like a lot of ice but the house only needs to sit there for a day or two and you start to flood, even where we had portable houses last weekend we have some flooding already.

We just may have been correct early on when we thought that it would be after Christmas before we could get out with the big houses.