• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Whaletail Ice

docwalleye

Anyone been out on Whaletail yet? How much ice did you find? I've heard the ice conditions are particularly tricky on this lake. I wanna get out there, but I wanna stay dry!

docwalleye, have you fished whaletail in the past? I'm volunteering with the DNR out there, and would like to pre-fish it. What's it like?

Only in the summer for bass. We just pounded the shoreline slop for the morning. I have no idea if there's any deep structure to look for. I wish I could help, but I couldn't even give you an idea of where to start....

50 minutes from Roseville. Be careful in the channel to the lower bay, always the thinnest area in the lake. That is where you want to be fishing. Ridiculous amounts of small crappies in that area, but it is a hike to get there. Tons of little ones to get to a decent fish. They pulled a 19" crappie out of there two winters ago. 15 is my best but I have literally caught hundreds of small ones and only a handfull of nice ones.