• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Phalen ice conditions

I was out Saturday nite and measured a solid 6 inches of black ice on the west side of the lake south of the boat launch. I haven't had much early ice experience and I noticed after four hours in the same spot that the water level in hole would change when I shifted my weight standing up shocked.gif Is that normal? I packed up and was set to leave and the ice started to crack all around me in a circular fashion. Scared the bejebers out of me!

Yeah thats usually about when I leave. I hit a metro lake late last march and drilled two holes side by side (one for the vex). I noticed after about an hour that the ice between the two holes had disappeared. Time to pack 'er up.

I was at Phalen also on Sat by the swimming area. Mark fish but no biters, fished for a few hours. I did see someone next to me catch a nice sized walter. Phalen is always hit or miss for some reason.

How deep was guy fishing when he caught the walleye. Icefished frequently there last year and noticed its a really clear lake. Any luck out there in past winters on the eyes? About how deep do ya fish?

As far as I know, the answer is yes. I use mine on Phalen, Houn, and Harriet all the time. Nobody has ever said anything to me.

i work for the city, and checked on this last year, yas power augers are allowed on phalen, but no snowmobiles, 4-wheelers, cars, etc.

Hey, sounds like quite a few guys like fishing Phalon. Maybe we should plan a little get together there on weekend. I know there was one organzized a couple years ago and believe there was a pretty good turn out.

There used to be a guy with the name failin on Phalen that used to fish this body of water pretty hard along with quite a few other FMers in the area.

Anyone interested? If so I would recommend a 1:00-6:00 time frame. Phalen is loaded with very nice pike to chase during the day and come dusk a shot at some nice eyes. Get enough guys out the should be able to cover the popular spots and maybe untap some of the secrets of Phalen.

I know there are crappies and sunfish as well but unsure as to where to target them.

Hey, sounds like quite a few guys like fishing Phalon. Maybe we should plan a little get together there on weekend. I know there was one organzized a couple years ago and believe there was a pretty good turn out.

There used to be a guy with the name failin on Phalen that used to fish this body of water pretty hard along with quite a few other FMers in the area.

Anyone interested? If so I would recommend a 1:00-6:00 time frame. Phalen is loaded with very nice pike to chase during the day and come dusk a shot at some nice eyes. Get enough guys out the should be able to cover the popular spots and maybe untap some of the secrets of Phalen.

I know there are crappies and sunfish as well but unsure as to where to target them.

I have done ok on the walleyes on phalen in the past. For early ice I would look for fish on the weedline neer steep breaks or points in ~12-15 feet of water.

I'd be in for a get together on Phalen. It would be cool to meet some of the guys that live up in this area. Mr. Pike, give me a shout sometime when you want to hit Silver. (the shallow one) [email protected]

I'd be willing to get together with a few fellow Crazies... oops, fishermen! I'm getting my license on Tuesday, so I can start going out by myself, without my dad. Which is good, because he's a "fairweather fisherman";)

MNfishing, I am home most days from work by 3:30 so I am open to hitting some local lakes for the dusk bite. Have you been on Silver yet? I think the little lake has some promise. Two 18 foot holes and the rest of lake is like 5 feet. Any fish should be stacked there or panfish in the shallows if you can find green weeds. There is an aeroator on the lake. I do not recall what side fo the lake this is on

For the phalen get together I put a seperate post to see what kind of interest there might be. I was thinking a Saturday afternoon or Sunday morning before the vikes game.

Most Phalen wallys that I usaully catch are caught in the 15-20 ft range of water. Phalen is a hit or miss lake. Sometimes you do good, while others you do bad. I am in for the Phalen meet

Hondavxr. You may qualify as one of the Phalen experts and may be able to put us on some fish. I have been out a few times on phalen during the open water but never on the ice. I know a few spots that produced pike, bass, and walleye. Hopefully a few other guys with Phalen experience will join in. I put out a seperate post to gain a guage of the interest level. Maybe throw you interest on that thread and we can look to pick a Saturday to all meet up. If we can get 10 or more people on the ice we should be able to locate the fish.