• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Marion - Lakeville

Fished Marion on Saturday. I was in the green Otter using the Nilsmaster (yes, I know the ice was thin to be power drilling). The ice conditions were very sketchy. I was on the further fringe of where eveyone was fishing (about 50 yards out). I had about 2.5 inches of clear/hard ice and about 1" of rotten surface ice. There was also sporatic 1" ice and even some open holes presumably from spring bubbling.

The fishing was slow. Must have been 120 tipups out there and very infrequent action. Myself, I was having hot gill, crappie, and perch action with only one crappie and one large perch to speak of. Was spot fishing a red grub on a fatboy jig / 2lb. test / new Frabrill rod with built-in spring bobber. Water was extremely clear and had no need for the Vex or Aqua-vu. Saw numerous pike with one that was easily a 10lb+ fish. However, the pike were in a very neutral to poor mood and thus the lack of catching going on.

If you go out there, be extremely careful and travel with a friend. And if you're the guy who tore (Contact US Regarding This Word) across the lake on your snowmobile, you have no idea how lucky your are to be alive. (that or you have really big seeds)

It's no big secret. It was Marion right off the public landing. There's always a ton of guys out there. You need to go out at least 20 yards to get outside of the weedbeds, where the sandy flat starts. Needs a portable over head with all your windows closed. You can see to the bottom perfectly in 7'. The water is very clear. I could see a 2" perch coming in from 10' away.

It really irks me to hear that guys will go out on sketchy ice with machines. Not only are they putting their own lives in danger, but those of the fire/sheriff dept. that have to come and try to save or recover them.

• 3 weeks later...

Thinking of hitting Marion tomorrow afternoon for an hour or two since it's close to home - anyone been out lately? Any reports? Ice condition, other than slushy & crappy?