• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Was wondering which of the 2 lakes is the best to fish. And also is there any population of crappies in that lake. ive fishind it many times but have never caught a crappie frown.gif just sunnies and perch and the acasional northern and walleye on tip ups

I fish the larger lake a lot more, but there are good places to fish in both lakes. There is a good population of crappies in the lakes. A lot of 12-13 inchers. some winters there are hard to find, and others can be great. Try right out infront of the bandshell at early ice.

Im sorry i fished the lake many times but im not sure where the bandshell is confused.gif and is it on the bigger lake.

what up ice, ill kick u and email later today to talk about goin out 2morro, the bandshell is right by the ww II monument there,just down from where they have the skatibg rink in the winter. ive had good luck there catching some very nice size crappies, winona ice and i should be out there 2morro lookin for some walleyes come join us if u can, however when i checked ice on sunday it was only like 3 and even less in some spots, kinda sketchy but well see,

ww

Yea the bandshell is an alright spot for crappies, but remember to keep mobile, don't be afraid to try shallow water, there is a weed flat that extends from a very shallow point right out from the war memorial so you can use that as a guide, try to situate yourself on the edges of the points and you should find fish.

Winona Walleye,Winona ice, and Allbigfish,

Thanks you guys for reports on the south eastern part of the state. I don't usually get a chance to hit those areas and it's nice to have guys like you keeping us informed of what's going on.

postinjg is my pleasure, i love fm i think it is brillant. i cant wait till some of the get togethers down here so i can put some faces to names, anyway bartlett from what i am told has around 4 inches of ice on the northern finger that runs parallel with the runway, there were about 20 or so people out there this weekend and they had pretty good success with panfish as well as some action on the tipups, catching some nice largemouth. Ive been out on mcnalays the past few days and there are some nice nig bull sunfish in there but theres times when you have to weed through the really small ones to get to the big ones, but it is not stop action down there its pretty much impossible to get to the bottom with out getting a hit, the fish fill the vexilar screen if ur not worried about size it go there

ww

How much work is it to get out to mcnalays. Not that I mind a little exercise, but my 5 and 3 yr old fishin' buddies can't always hack it. Sounds like it is a good action place to keep the kids interested and a even some to keep my attention. Directions from 61 would be appreciated too if that is not too much to ask. Thanks!!! Or, should I just keep the little ones at lake winona. They had a blast there this summer.

I drove past Lake Winona this afternoon. I did not see anyone on it. As is normal, the water around the culvert and aerators is open.

McNalley Landing is a pretty easy place to access, if the parking lot is plowed out. To get there from 61, turn off 61 on to Huff Street, and go straight until it turns into Riverview Drive, at which point it bends to the left. Stay on Riverview Drive until you come to Prairie Island Road, right past the barge harbor. Take a right there, and follow Prairie Island Road past the deer park, the campground, and the spillway. Right after the spillway parking lot, there will be another driveway on the right side of the road. I am pretty sure there is a sign saying McNalley Landing. Take that right, and it will take you to the parking lot for McNalley Landing. There is a boat ramp there, and a sign. The water is right there, and you should be able to tell from the tracks where people are fishing. I did not go out that way today, so I can't tell you if the lot is plowed. Some people also park along the road just past the driveway, and get right on the ice from there, although I have never done that, so I can't give any sort of info. as to the fishing or ice conditions there.

I was out on mcnallys for a few hours today. The ice is still in okay condition, and i think the lot was plowed. i fished down along the road farther in the deep hole. The fishing was a lot slower than it had been a few days ago, but there were still plenty of fish bitting. The size has been pretty good too. A lot of fish between 8 and 9 inches.

hey ice ben out at all lately? did the snow mess up the ice at all at airport or mcnalays, and wat about lake winona? i plan on goin out 2morro back here in iowa city just to cure the itch but we'll see, if winona gets safe soon i might just come back early so we can do that thing we planned

ww

i was out at mcnallys on friday. The ice was still pretty good there, just a little slushy. The fish were a lot slower too. I checked out lake winona today for a little while, but i was a little nervous about the ice. Most places have 4-5 inches, but i found some with only 2. No walleye either. I caught a crappie and a small bass. Some other guys that i talked to were having preety good luck with the crappies, but no walleyes. In another week the ice should be pretty good out there.

that stubborn ole lake winona just wont freeze over! good to hear ya found some crappies... hey keep in touch though man let me know how uve ben doing, i went out today at home but they were all dinkers mad.gif it was still nice to get out, well good luck

ww

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody know how the ice is doing on lake winona after this heatwave we've had?