• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

They are on it now, but the reports I have heard are sketchy at best. I know the last place to freeze there is the deep water near the dam, so that might be a good area to avoid for another few days if people are not seen fishing near there.

WE JUST GOT BACK FROM THERE. THERE WAS ABOUT 5" OF ICE. PROBABLY ABOUT 15 PEOPLE OUT THERE THIS AFTERNOON. MY BRO-INLAW AND I CAUGHT 6 OR 7 BASS RANGING FROM 8" TO 12". ALSO CAUGHT 10 TO 12 SUNNIES RANGING FROM 3" TO A MONSTER 9". SHE WAS WELL FED. MOST OF THE FISH WERE CAUGHT ON EURO LARVE AND A FEW ON CRAPPIE MINNOWS. CRAPPIETOM YOU WERE RIGHT ABOUT GONE FISHIN BAIT SHOP, A BIG TURN AROUND! WE TALKED TO HIM FOR AWHILE AND HE SAID HE RAN OUT OF SOME BAITS YESTERDAY AND WAS GETTING CLOSE TO RUNNING OUT AGAIN TODAY.

SHANE

PS WE WERE FISHING CLOSE TO THE MAIN PART OF THE LAKE IN ABOUT 28" OF WATER.

Crappie Tom, You seem to be the man in the area to ask questions. I am new to this forum and was turned on to it by a friend up in the Twin Cities. Was wondering where some of the hotter spots are out in Chester Woods? I was more of a trout fisherman in past years and decided to get into ice fishing a little more, being I only live 5 min. from Chester Woods now, I thought I would give it a shot. I went to check the ice this weekend and it seems to be good by the landing, but not sure where to fish out there? Could you give me some places that might be good to try out there? I did come across a fellow coming off that had caught his limit of sunnies and the ones he showed me were dinner plate size... nice ones!! Any help would be appreciated.

FishHunter.....Welcome to the boards. We are alwayshappy to have some new readers and input. Again, welcome to FishingMinnesota.com.

As for Chesterwoods. If you enter at the landing and are walking back in the direction of the dam.....

Immediately in front of the dam you will find very deep water. Around the trees that stick up out of nowhere, and along the banks to the right andalong the dam-face is where the crappie action will likely be found. If you stop about a hundred yards out on the main lake in front of the dam, you will notice the beach area to your immediate left and back in a ways. At about 10/11 oclock from that postion you are in, you will see some fairly dense shrub like trees out in the water. The water is still quite deep in there and is full of sunfish. There is a ridge that people will fish that actually sort of seperates the real deep water from those shrubs. It runs from solid ground well out into the lake. This has always been good area to begin searching and the presence or either active angler or their vacated holes will give it away.

I have seen only one map of this lajke and it was in the hands of someone other than myself. I am totally unsure if the DNR even lists it on their website.

This water is managed for super sized sunfish, but I have never seen anything like a 10 incher out there. 8 yes. Ten, not I. If you have seen first hand very large sunfish then you know first hand that they are there. It has been two years since I ventured out there other than to talk with anglers.

Chestwoods can give up some interesting fishing, In addition to the sunfish and crappies, catfish of large size exist and some nice bass are present too. Small jigs and waxies will take them all with minnows also working well for crappies and larger fish.

I will forewarn anyone taking fish for the table that the sunfish are loaded with black spot. The more mature larva are also going to be found in the meat. Crappies will even be found with the larva in the meat. I will not keep fish from the lake, but they are fun to catch.

Fish_Hunter,

Glad you have you aboard here on FishingMinnesota. Welcome

I've been looking to set foot on Chesterwoods for a while now. I've never fished it, but its an itch that I'd like to scratch.

The Christmas weekend and New Years timeframe are completely open for me and I would be willing to venture out there with you if your looking for company.

Thanks for the welcome and for the information!! Especially in regards to taking the fish home for teh table. I will do my best to keep everyone posted on how things go out there. I will give a couple of those spots a shot and let you know how they turn out. I guess while I'm asking questions how are some of the other resevoirs located around Rochester? Such as Gamehaven Lak and Willow Creek Lake??

Thanks for your input!

That sounds great, we could do some scouting around out there and see if we can locate them fishes!! I will let you know what days will work for me and then we could go from there. How does that sound?

Lets keep in touch.

PS. I live right next to Willow Creek and I usually have a pretty good grasp on the "whats and wheres" of that body of water. I havn't fished it yet, but that'll change soon as well.

Will do, I have fished that a few times during the summer and once last year ice fishing, it's alright, I've never caught anything worth bragging about out there though. Definitely would like to try it again, possibly with someone who knows where they might be?? I'll let you know on those dates. Catch ya later!

What's the cost of a park pass out at Chester Woods? Also, are they daily, weekly, monthly? Any info would be appreciated.

If my memory serves me correct, it is $25.00 for a season pass or $5.00 for a daily pass. Great Christmas gift I think!!! Good luck fishing!!