• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Some general Leech Lake info please

A friend has asked me to take him and his two grandsons ice fishing for a couple days sometime this winter so I'm looking for some advice.

I have fished Winnie for the past 12 years or so and the last several trips have required a lot of work to complete our limits of perch. Considering who I'm going with, I don't think that I can count on being able to work hard for fish.

So how's Leech been in the winter? I've only fished there once but that was many years ago. If Leech seems to be worth it, what area of the lake should I be looking at and where could I find an ice house to rent in that area or lake access in that area? It's not so important what we catch as long as they are satisfied.

Thanks for your help.

The past three years I've done better walleye fishing in the Winter in Walker Bay than I have during open water. Type in Leech Lake Fishhouse rentals, Thopson Rentals, Gary Rorick in a search engine and you'll find what you're looking for (thompson may have sold theirs I can't remember).

Walker Bay has some good spots, generally this time of year I concentrate in the breaks off of Sand Point in 17-25' and move deeper into January. The best times are 1/2 before sunup to an hour after and right around sundown. Many times your sonar will just light up with fish moving for about 15 minutes and you'd better be ready because that's when you're going to catch 80% of your fish. Good luck, hope that helps.

I live in Walker and find myself driving north to Winnie for my best perch action. Leech perch fishing seems to be at its peak in the spring right before ice out. Leech is better known for it's Walker bay Walleye bite during low light periods. I would take your winnie knowledge and put it to use. There is a better road system on winnie as well. Travel on leech is limited to walker bay unless you are on snowmobiles or 4-wheelers.