• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Just wondering how the ice is out on clear so far? Also I've never fished the lake but was going to give the walleyes a try....just wondering if someone could point me to an area of the lake to give it a try. Any info would be appreciated. I am going to give Washington a try today and will post my results.

I dont ever fish there but a few reports I have heard was the ice isnt the best and alot of slush under snow,

Just got back from there. Caught a number of small crappies. Where I was at there was almost 5 inches, but it is not like that all over. I Didn't venture out very far because it was only a little of 3 inches farther out. If you do go out. Don't go very far to the right of the boat landing because there is a spring over there, and a four-wheeler went through last year.

Don't expect much in walleyes on the lake, Catmaster and I fish it religiously and only iced 4 eyes last year, you might be thinking of the Clear lake by Gibbon which kicked out some eye's a few years ago, rumor was that the fish to be stocked in new ulm clear got dumped into the wrong lake, but I never heard that from a reliable source. Haven't heard of any fish caught there recently.

Yeah right riverrat....you are just keeping the lake to yourself. Just kiddin....thanks for the info. I was just looking for a lake that might hold a few more walleyes in it.

Was out there today and this past Saturday for a totally of probably 8 hours without a nible or anything. I do really good on walleyes during the early part of the season, its just like they shut down or something. Just kinda of frustrating knowing that there in there but no one seems to really catch them. I think i'm going to focus a different lake for now and try clear ago when more ice is on the lake!

I personally wouldnt waste my time on clear lake, fished it many times. Last winter the biggest crappie we caught barely pushed 7 inches. The crappies will never grow any larger becuase it gets fished hard, is small and shallow. Lake Hanska has some nice waltes in it if u can find them, as well as some decent crappies blush.gif Just my 2cents.

Be careful when venturing out on this lake. Straight out from the landing and off to the right are springs which always make the ice in that area unsafe to say the least. Every year it seems to eat at least one vehicle when the ice 'should' be in good condition. Even driving ATV's or snowmobiles in that area is questionable.

I never have had any decent fishing trips to report about on this lake during the winter, having spent multiple days in many different areas. Could be that I don't know how to catch them confused.gif

Many people fish clear lake because it is close to new ulm and offers a chance at some crappies. I personally would drive the extra 15 minutes to lake hanska and catch some walleyes and larger crappies! Besides...clear lake likes to play tricks on people, every year a couple of people drop some type of vehicle in it. This year in particular the ice will mostly likely turn out unsafe with all the snow. The cold temps on the way will help some but not enough. Wheelers and sleds may be all that are crusin out this year, fine with me though.

No idea, I would think it would be okay. Im gunna be heading out there on Sunday for sure to chase some walleyes and may try to find some crappies. It seems to me that mostly people target walleyes on this lake, but who knows? Up in the cities there are people crusing around on wheelers on the small lakes, wonder if a guy could on hanska...too many places to try-so far to walk grin.gif

Last Sunday geiger on hanska had almost 6 inches about 100 yards out. didn't check any farther. I'll be headed out there tomorrow morning as I almost took a swim in clear today. I punched a hole and it was 6 inches walked about 75 yeards drilled about an inch with the auger when the ice cracked and sagged! I quick got out of there and drilled about 10 ft from there and it was only like 3 inches. So I don't know what the deal was. There is not much snow on the lake so it should produce ice pretty soon Kinda scary though thought I was going in!

Ya, Clear has good ice till about half way out to the point, there was 5 inches and then a little farther not enough, it was ugly.

That was a close one Cat, maybe if we weren't so fat....

Me and a buddy of mine are going out this afternoon, I made my own "Structure on a String" and just set up in about 6ft of water over buy the park dock, that is were I do really good on the eyes during spring and early part of the summer!

forgot to post Saturdays results! Got out on the lake around 2 and didn't get a bit until sunset, but once the sun set it was none stop action I don't know if my home made SOS's did anything but we caught probably 35-40 crappies and 8 gills! most of the crappies were 6-7 inches but we did get 9 good ones 9-11 inches and all the gills we got were eaters too!

• 2 weeks later...

Was out yesterday from 11-6, no bits but did see some nice sized gills and the typical size crappies on the aquavu, hoped to see some eyes on it but no suck luck!

• 1 month later...

How did the Fishing tournament go at Clear Lake this past weekend? I didn't see anything in the paper. Did anyone catch a walleye their this winter?

one eye was caught, from what I heard it was 2.5 lbs, me and buddy of mine have caught a couple lately, but a couple is worth the work that we've had to do on that lake for a couple eyes!

I have yet to catch a walleye out there this year, got a few last year, any one that you do catch is niced size it seems, 18-20 inches. We've got a house out there, man is that water dirty, can barly see the far side of the second hole with the camara down......

That lake must be full of them. The tiniest minnows work well on glow jigs after dark. anything to big is ignored.