• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Thief River village

Anyone got a name for that huge metropolis that has formed on Thief River by the 8th street bridge? You almost need street signs to figure out where to go once you get off the landing! How's the fishing been up there. Saw a guy pull out a decent size pike on thursday and then saw another guy with an SUV a little ways from the bridge. Gotta be thick ice for someone to drive a vehicle out there.

May have to join someone one of these days while waiting for something to do LOL.

IHRS

It's gone crazy down there on the weekends. Last year I think I fished the river maybe twice. Yesturday I went down with my son, and it was just nuts.

Fishermen and snowmobilers both have equal rights to be on the river, but you won't catch a fish house flying by your snowmobile going 50... get what I'm throwing?

Here I am with my 4 year old in a little portable and the sleds are flying by SO CLOSE and SO FAST, that I can't even hear him talking to me. We stayed for about 25 minutes and left. The sleds were going by houses closer than 10 feet away and moving.

My thought? There were lots of people drinking beer, and a lot of people on snowmobiles. I don't know if it was the same people or not, but I didn't feel comfortable.

It would be nice if the sledders would keep a little distance from the fish houses, but the idea of that in itself could start a civil rights war in this town.

I can hear it now... If you don't like it, stay away.

True... and I will.

But, is a little common sense too much to ask?

What do you think.

If a few more people put houses down there, there won't be room for the sleds to ride. Holy moly for houses.

The traffic from snowmobile and people alike cannot compare to the rediculous amount of garbage laying and blowing around on the ice. Pathetic is all I can say. I really wish it was back to the old days when nobody knew about the fishery we had in Tuff Rubber Balls. That great fishery will be back to the ol' weeds, puss and dead cows hole it used to be if people don't wake up and have some respect for it. Maybe that's better, then these (Contact US Regarding This Word) will go back to where they came from. Now I know how the guys from Upper Red Lake feel about how people are treating that body of water. Please, all concerned local SPORTSMEN AND SPORTSWOMEN, bring a garbage bag with you or just fill up an extra five gallon pale with garbage when you leave. To the people who insist on leaving our fishery a garbage dump, please, pretty please...STAY HOME.

I agree about the garbage thing. I have lived here all my life and I see more and more people showing up every year. I really don't know why people can't just take their garbage home with them.

Now for the snowmobiles, a quick call to law enforcement will tak care of that for a little while. I know they will be down there patroling soon. I guarantee if they recieve some calls, they'll be down there next weekend patroling the river and writing tickets. blush.gif

Like I've said before, I have nothing agaist snowmobilers, but there are places to drive fast if you want. Driving fast around ice houses isn't safe or right. Besides that, there is a speed limit in town.

I agree with you, I don't like it either.

How many houses out there?

I remember the days of the "Ol Dead Cow Hole", but we had a lot fun tho... Man makes me feel old, ah the good old days.

Dont they have a posted speed limit (appx 15 mph or so) on the beach there applying to the sleds? Used to.. That has always been a safety concern... And sleds just get faster and folks get reckless. Be careful out there....

Do all 3 of you "K.K." boys post on FishMN?. I figure 2 of ya fer sure, does the eldest? Went to school with him, good guy and straight shooter...

Rod

The eldest bro is too busy wackin' backs and snappin' necks. He's just a casual viewer. K2 and I are regulars.

Ok that is enough......... Im just gonna have to head over there and get in on all the fun... Maybe Thursday.

ok so now I have to ask,

what's working up there? What are you catching? any numbers to them? what's the current like? How thick is the ice? Give me something to go on since I have never fished the thief river. Thanks for any help.

IHRS

I seem to catch nothing but pike. Alot of pike though! I haven't caught any eye's yet, but have caught one perch almost 12" inches long! shocked.gif

Some are catching walleye's and pretty good pike action almost anywhere. Current is not to terrible, but if youre using a flasher it's a pain.

Ice is good and thick, lots of traffic now. Fishing will continue to be fairly good for the rest ofthe month, then it usually slows a bit. I have been focusing on 7-9ft of water with as little current as possible, but as I said no luck with eye's.

Hope this helps a little.

Cat man how thick is the ice. Was wondering if I could drive my 3/4 ton out yet with my icepro yet or should I wait awhile yet and just use the portable.

Not sure how thick the ice is right now, When I was down last weekend it was 12"-15" maybe more, in 8 foot of water with no current. I did however drive down the river as well, pulling my 14 foot house across the channel. I drove down on the 3rd street launch (because 8th street is too steep for my house, it hits) and went over by 8th street, I didn't fall through, but I have a Ford Ranger too. A little lighter than your truck.

There are 1/2 tons for sure on the river, but I can't tell you exactly how safe it is. I wouldn't imagine it's the thickest it could be, probably a fewer inches more than is considered "Safe".

Sorry I couldn't be more specific.

The fish arent hitting as hard as they usually do. I have talked to alot of people who have said they've had alot of minnows coming up the hole.could be alot of food down there.Was down there yesterday and caught 12 northerns between 2 guys in a couple hours. Was down the day before and caught one walleye, fished about 4 spots kept movin around. Current seems strong in most places.

Bringin the stationary down tomorrow.It's a 5x12 two big windows on the one side. If you see a maroon dodge parked by it stop by and introduce yourself sometime. It'd be nice to put a few faces to these names.

W_boy

Hey 'Eye boy,

I noticed the same thing last weekend in regards to baitfish just showing up in my holes. At one time I had 2 river minnows come up in one hole and 1 each in two other holes. Lots of big water beatles too. Must be lots of bait. The 18", 21", and 23"ers we caught were really fat. We were in 7 1/2 feet of water. A neighbor to a buddy of mine said it had really slowed compared to earlier last week when they had multiple 'eye mornings and evenings.