• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Has anyone ever caught walleyes on Turtle Lake?? I tried it one day/night last fall for the first time and it was a dud. It looks like it might have potential though.

Nope, keep lookin. You will find very few eyes there. Snot rockets are plentiful on west shore , no size tho.

I have a cabin on that lake. They stock it every three years or so but there are people on the lake who won't let the walleyes get any bigger than 12" before keeping them. About three years ago we caught about 40 walleyes in one afternoon that were 12"-13". A guy in a pontoon went by said he caught his limit of "pound and a halfers" went to his cabin, dropped them off and came out and took another 5 gallon pail full of them.

Another reason for the lack of walleyes is the overabundance of hammerhandles. This year trolling I didn't catch any walleyes but my brother and I could catch 40 of those small northerns in an hour. I caught the most walleyes off my dock right around midnight.

The lake is full of sunfish and bass though. Look off any weed edge and you will find them.

Thanks for the input GF.... I really appreciate it. That's too bad about the (hopefully few) selfish cabin owners on the lake. If they are taking more than the law allows, it would sure be fun to see them get busted. I know I wouldn't hesitate to call the DNR if I witnessed a flagrant violation.

I was really hoping this might be a legitimate walleye lake that get's overlooked by most people. Maybe I'll try it a couple times this winter and then again in the spring. I suppose it's possible that the biggest ones feed primarily at night on this clear lake and may avoid being caught by the ones you're talking about?

Zelek, the fish I caught at night were not big. They were between 14" and 16" but they are all back in the lake. I havn't kept a walleye out of Turtle for a couple years now. I have more fun catching them. Let me know if you do catch anything when you head out there. If you would like to know where I have found the walleyes, drop me a line.

The DNR has been patrolling Turtle consistently for the last two summers so I don't think we will have a problem with those cabin owners.