• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Where are dem cool ice grippers?

EBass

Question

I thought we could order them here, but I don't see them anymore. I don't want to use the dang rubber ones that fall off my boot all the time. Just wondering. Thanks

19 answers to this question

Fleet Farm sells the best one out there. I can't remember the name but they are all metal with spikes about a half inch long. I believe I paid $30 for mine and worth every penny.

I had the flip-off HT galoshes type and I lost two of them puppies. My vote is for the Arctic Spurs and I think that's what mnfishingguy is referring too. Each cleat is molded to fit in the arch of your boot there's 4 thick heacy duty spikes on each cleat and there held by extra thick surgical green tubing and "S" hooks. I never lost one of these babies or slipped.

The ones I'm talking about have steel spikes, two on the heel and four under the ball of your feet. I agree with you that the HT ones will work in a pinch but there are much better ice grippers out there.

I have a problem. I wear a size 15 Ice King and cant find any cleats besides the South Bend rubber ones that fit. I know they arent the best but they stay on my boots fine. Getting them on and off is a bugger though.

Does anyone know a good set of cleats that would fit my boots and if so where can I find them? If you have info please contact me at [email protected] thanks.

I really like Ice Creepers. They stay on good and you will never slip. Sorry Northlander, I check they only go up to size 12.

Northlander - I've got the same problem... size 15 boots... wait.. I mean I can't find any good grippers in a size 15..

This is what I've got right now:

sgt-2.jpg

They're made by HT.

They work OK... not spectacular, but better than being without.. that's for sure. One other thing... I don't wear a heavy pack boot... I've got a pair of 800 gram Rockys that work pretty good...

Let me know if anyone contacts you!

marine_man

Marine Man thats exactly what Im forced to use.$3.49 at wally world so I buy them 3 at a time. They tend to break every once in a while when popping onto my size 15 Ice Kings. shocked.gif Not a good feeling on cold hands. frown.gif

Someone please make a good ice cleat for us big footed fisherman.

Wow, size 15!! Do you use your ICE KINGS only for ICE FISHING?? If so, do they have thick lug bottoms?? My dad screwed sheet metal screws into a pair of his boats with thick lugs on them.

THEY ARE AWESOME!!!! But only for ice fishing, and never walk in the house crazy.gif

I thought of that but I knew the 1st time I walked into my house with my boats on the s&!t would hit the fan. I may put a couple just in the back heal at least then I could tippy toe. Thats if I remember. shocked.gif

I had a pair of grippers with the half inch spikes. They were one piece and covered the front and heal. Worked great. Really bit into the ice even through the snow. Saw them advertised in Calelas. I think they are called Creepers. Come in different configurations. Some for the full foot, some for the arch, some for the front of the foot. I think they are also sold on a website, do a search for ice creepers, If you get this type keep an eye on the straps. After losing one (I think it fell out of the truck) I got a set of the rubber slip over your boot type with studs from Cabelas. I put them over a size 11 Ice King. Work good on glare ice but not so good if the ice has a snow toping. It can be like having just your plain boots. With either system I put the cleats on my boots and change into them when I first hit the ice. This way I won't tear up my truck and it's a lot easier than putting on the cleats at the ice. Saves time.

Northlander,

When I was a kid, my dad , brother and I made our own..

Dad made a template out of cardboard, transfered it out on 1/4" (stopsign ) plating, and cut it out with a band saw.. Bend it up in a vise, and you're set. It went under the arch of the foot.. Then we used bungies to hold it on..

Really , it's not that hard.. I'll see if I can get that template.. or you can make one for your boot with the exact dimensions..

Just some more ideas for you wink.gif Man!, I thought my size 10 Lacross ATX's were huge!!!

Northlander,

I was at FF in Brainerd yesterday and saw a cleat that MIGHT work for you. They were HT Omni Tech. It said for size 13+. It was a sandal type, but it looked pretty decent.

I wear size 15's also. Made my own pair of cleats. Take a 1/4" thick piece of 1" iron. Cut them a few inches wider than the spot just in front of your heel. Cut an upside down V into each end and fold the points down. Cut slots on each end for a leather strap. Than take your boot and metal piece to a good leather shop and have them make up straps that go through the cleat, behind your heel and over the top of your foot. Have a buckle installed on the top of your foot.

A good shop should only charge you around $30, but they will last forever. They are great if you run an otter or fishtrap style house, with a wooden floor they can tear it up in a hurry. But they are easy to slip on and off, and they will never come loose.

I also have an extra pair of size 15 Lacrosse Ice Kings if anyone is interested. laa @ astound dot net

Guys there is an ice cleet called Stabilicers that will fit the bill.HT makes a similar product but I dont think they have many different sizes of them.There a vibram boot sole with replaceable screws that strap to your boots.Sportsmans warehouse and rei carry them.For the Bigfoot in the family there xxl is a size 15-16.You can find them on the web if you search the name..Good luck..They are spendy around 50bucks but they last and last..