• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Glow Tackle

Rainydaze

I'm interested in other peoples experience using glow tackle. Most of the glow tackle I have used holds its glow for a very brief period of time. I was wondering if anyone has come across any particular Glow paint that holds longer. Also want to note that I have found certain scents have proven to be key when those slabs are a little on the finicky side. Experiment a little you might be surprised! wink.gif

I use the custom jigs nuclear flash in the ultra violet for all my glow jigs and what a world of difference. I have used all other types and this is by far the best I have seen for glowing jigs the brightest and keeping them glowing longer.

I have found Phelps to have the longest lasting glow; the ones that smell like sulpher. Although I don't think you need something real bright down there. Especially at night. A dull glow makes more sense. Just something to get their attention. I will be taking some up to LOW this weekend. The water is murkier there than Red and deeper. I will be using them during the day along with plain gold (my favorite on LOW).

I always try glowing demons first. Any of the flash units made for glowing jigs I have tried worked well. For me the key for when the fish are not biting is I glow the jig a lot. I do not think the glow always makes them bite but bringing the line in and back down often seems to trigger a bite. Never hurts to make sure the bait is fresh too.

I do well with Northland and Genz jigs at night but maybe not the longest lasting glowing jigs though??

People think that their glow jigs don't hold a glow very long, but I'd bet you'd be surprised if you glowed it up before you went to bed, there'd still be enough glow in your jig to see it a couple hours later in the dark when your eyes are adjusted to toal darkness. I've woke up at 3-4 in the morning and most of the glow jigs above water in our house have enough glow in them to see them and that is what it would look like to the fish.

I agree, some nights to bright of a glow will turn them off. Just gotta try different amounts of glow, colors and sizes till you find the one they want. I use an old 35mm camera flash and that glows them up better than any tazer I have tried.

Good Luck!

Ken

My experience with the glow tackle that I use is that it glows awesome in the fish house or at home, but when it gets dipped in the cold water the temperature change seems to quickly deplete the brightness of the glow. I haven't tried the flash yet, so maybe I'll give that a shot. I love to talk tackle, and appreciate all the responses. I can't wait to play cat and mouse with those huge Red lake slabs on the vex.

cool.gif There! these ought to fix that! cool.gif No wonder all my lures look "red".... grin.gif

Good Luck!

Ken

I would second the Phelps glow jigs. All of them are fantastic and they do it right.

Neon Lites by Bartness Industries seem to hold their glow for a long time. I have had good luck with the on Red.

We have also taken jigs out of the fish house and put them in cold water, same result they go dead quickly.

Used glow on Red Lake many times and for me it really has not mattered a whole lot. I still use glow but I don't drive myself crazy trying to keep the glow going any more. I have noticed that when I first glow my jig and send it back down the hole they come to it immediately but have just looked at it as if real curious of what it is. One of the true values of having a Vex/Marcum to help understand what the Crappies are turely doing. Usually with my latern going it has given my jig enough glow to trigger a reaction. With two jigs you will spend a lot of time trying to keep them glowing in the cold water. I have always done better on the pole I was jigging with instead of the dead stick. Slowly moving the jig up the water column has usually done the trix triggering them to bite before it got out of sight of them. I usally bounce my jig on the bottom several times and than start moving it up also. Has worked for me.

WooHoo, my 100th post!! Seriously, thanks to everyone on this forum that shares their tips and stratagies with not so expert anglers like myself, it is much appreciated.