• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

First time at URL

loadster33

Heading up to URL Jan.13th threw the 17th for the first time we booked threw Bear Paw can anyone give me any details about there sleeper shacks and give me any tips on what to bring along except whiskey and beer thanks for any helpful tips

I see you are from SD, so be prepared for drastic changes,

in temperature, windspeed, and snow...sometimes plenty of it. You don't want to go out there with street tires, even if you have 4WD. I have gone out there at 10:00 AM and by

2:00 PM you couldn't see the fishhouse next to you 100 ft

away. In case it's a really BIG storm, prepare yourself

for being able to be independant for at least 72 hours -

it doesn't happen very often, but this is a very big lake

and it doesn't take much wind to blow the roads shut.

You should have on hand at least 72 hours worth of propane,

lantern gas, and most of all drinkable water. Yeah, you

can probably drink the URL water, but then again does it

make good coffee? This lake is the only place I have

ever experienced the feeling of "survival tactics" , and

it can turn on you before you know it. But, if you're

prepared for it, just ride it out and keep fishin! Why

not - that's what you came for. This is an experience

akin to going on a trip to the BWCA for the first time -

everthing is unknown, everything is different from your

previous experience. Just go prepared, then ENJOY!

Quote:

I see you are from SD, so be prepared for drastic changes,

in temperature, windspeed, and snow...sometimes plenty of it. You don't want to go out there with street tires, even if you have 4WD. I have gone out there at 10:00 AM and by

2:00 PM you couldn't see the fishhouse next to you 100 ft

away. In case it's a really BIG storm, prepare yourself

for being able to be independant for at least 72 hours -

it doesn't happen very often, but this is a very big lake

and it doesn't take much wind to blow the roads shut.

You should have on hand at least 72 hours worth of propane,

lantern gas, and most of all drinkable water. Yeah, you

can probably drink the URL water, but then again does it

make good coffee? This lake is the only place I have

ever experienced the feeling of "survival tactics" , and

it can turn on you before you know it. But, if you're

prepared for it, just ride it out and keep fishin! Why

not - that's what you came for. This is an experience

akin to going on a trip to the BWCA for the first time -

everthing is unknown, everything is different from your

previous experience. Just go prepared, then ENJOY!

I wish I could get stranded out there for 72hrs.

I always bring extra training fluid grin.gif

You will be fine out there. A GPS is a good idea incase a storm rolls in, then you will at least have some idea how to get off the lake. Just bring a bunch of whiskey and minnows and prepare to have a great time!!

Standed on Red Lake? Does it get any better?

As long as you have heat and bait you won't care if it's the storm of the century.

What this crap about being from South Dakota. Ha Ha this isnt my first ice fishing trip to the north land. Been going up to LOTW for many years staying at Zippel bay. Just thought we would give URL a changes this year. Last year we fished LOTW in Jan. had a great time and fished Devils in Feb. Looking foreward to a great time wondering if Bare Paw was a good plce to deal with thanks

Last year was my first year on URL and went through WestWind and had a blast and caught alot of fish. Diffently time well spent

This will be my third year ice fishing URL will be up fishing Jan/27/06 and Feb/17/06 out of westwinds Resort. Most the time we do great! But there has been a couple of times where it was slow. Like any other fishing story? sooner or later it'll be our time.... I'm waiting for mine! Good luck fishing and maybe see you out on the ice.

Nightman:

Where you from Gopherfisher 22? URL I agree is a blast, I remember my first time out? was with a group of 4 we partied and caught lots of perch, few slab crappies and a couple of walleyes... can't wait to be able to keep the eyes. I'll be up Jan.27 2006 out of west wind Resort, maybe see you there,

Nightman:

Nightman I am origanlly from Southwest MN but now live in St Paul until i graduate in May. Last year was my first time on URL and got or limit the first day so we spent the second day fishing for northerns. Pulled a 15pound 8 ounce through the hole biggest one for me. I plan on going to red at least 2 or 3 times this year if my schedule allows. But i am also looking for good area lakes if you know of any.

NightMan doyou know anything about Bear Paw guides up there or anyone ulse out there we booked threw them for Jan 13th threw the 17th just wondering if anyone can tell me about them thanks

My apologies, Loadster33....didm't know you were used to

the climate up here, and by no means did I intend to

start a firestorm of replies. Just passing on what I

usually prepare for when I "go out" of for a 2-3 day stay.

Good luck to you and yours. To me, it's just comforting

to have all that extra stuff on hand when a snowstorm

blows in. Enjoy!

I've stayed with bear paw the last two years and am booked with them in january this year. I've been happy with them and they have always put me on fish. The houses are ok nothing super fancy but decent.

Quote:

NightMan doyou know anything about Bear Paw guides up there or anyone ulse out there we booked threw them for Jan 13th threw the 17th just wondering if anyone can tell me about them thanks

You cant go wrong with those guys.

Night no apologies needed just given you a hard time do I need to bring a cook stove along or a gas grill or does there sleeper shacks have a cook stove in them. There will be 6 of us up there and we are taking my suburban and its going to be a tight fit. Just trying to down size alittle. Im just glad you guys have ice to fish on. Ice down here is 1 to 4 inches thick and there is no fishing right now to much snow and with the 34 degree day with 20mph wind yesterday really melted everything again. We will be lucky to get on the ice before Jan.

Make sure you bring the essentials like toliet paper and garbage bags forgot them last year and had to run into town to buy.

You need pans and silverware there is a two burner stove in the house. Need bedding pillow sleepingbag.hand towels.paper towels .no sink so somthing to clean pans after cooking. houses have lighting beds with mattresses.