• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Which Auger to buy? Jiffy, Esko, Strikemaster or others?

TJB

Question

I want a gas power auger for running and gunning. I plan on drilling up to 30 holes per day. I will fish from LOW/RED to the metro. I have a portable and I like to get out for early ice and late season ice as well. I have 2 Clam Pro's that I fish with. I like the weight of the new Strikemaster 4 stroke but I am concerned about using it in extreme cold, also not sure about owning a 1st year model as well. Like I said I will be running and gunning so the auger will be spending time on the outside of the portable. I will also need an auger extension as well not sure if all manufactures make them or if you have to search for an aftermarket auger extension.

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

TJB

15 answers to this question

TJB,

I would go with a Nilsmaster You get the best of both worlds. For early ice you can use it as a hand auger, as a gas auger it's super light, no effort needed to drill holes (you can drill one handed)and I have never, ever needed an extension as the shaft is a little bit longer than others. I would give it serious consideration.

What Paul said.

My Strikemaster has been a good unit, but it is getting very tired. When it gives up the ghost, I will get a Nils.

I run a strikemaster power auger, but for first ice I use the Nils hand auger. Here's a little story from this past weekend, went down to the ice to check thickness. I hand augered a hole pretty quick, my buddy said "wow, that was quick, whatta we got about 4 inches of ice?" I just grinned and said check it. "8 inches!, that thing just chowed right thru the ice, let me try it"

He was a believer within a couple holes, then I told him about the powerhead/hand auger option. Funny, I could see a Nils powerauger somewhere in the future for him. grin.gif

All three of us have Lazermags, but as soon as one fails, the Nils will probably be the replacement. For what it's worth, we don't have any complaints against the Strikemasters.

Im with these guys, nothing I have ever used touches my Nilsmaster! I have run them all but the Strike Light and from what I hear its not very fast anyways.

Get a Nils you will be glad you did. I love the fact I got the best hand auger and power auger both when I got my Nils.

Nilsmaster hands down. You can run and gun, cutting holes all day and it doesn't affect your back like the others do after you have been lugging them around all day. Not too mention that it never requires downward pressure to drill a hold. Just hang on and go for the ride smile.gif

I have tried 3 different places that sell these and no one has returned my call. (Nils)

If I can't get them to call me back when trying to purchase how will it work if I have a warranty issue?

Not bashing just asking!

Gentlemen,

So far the census is overwhelming and the Nils seems to be the run away favorite for hand and power augers. I hear they are somewhat hard to get ordered and the price is a real stumbling point for me. I was talking with a Pro down at Joes Sporting goods and he was saying that the Strikemaster Lazer Express is going to stay with or top any auger he has ever field trialed and the price is about $329.

I'm definitly struggling as I want to ge the most for my

money, but also the best performance as well. I used a Jiffy Steath for 4 days last weeked up on LOW-not mine but not happy as I had to lay into the auger for every hole.

So, should a guy wait and order a Nils or pull the trigger on a Express? I do move around a bit but no 30 holes a day.

Thanks for whatever advise I can get on my internal stuggle. crazy.gif

I find it a bit strange that you can get a Nils hand auger at Cabela's, but not a power auger. I'm not in the market for a power auger, but recently purchased a hand auger. I debated the Nils versus the Lazer and decided to save myself the $30 or so dollars and get the Lazer. I can't say I've used the Nils, but that Lazer still cuts very well. I don't know how much better the Nils could be. I guess there are a few more issues with a power auger, but I've been very impressed with how a Lazer cuts (hand powered, at least).

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I have a Lazer and have used the Nils.

When I can swing the Nils I will. I was just dumfounded how this thing cut through the ice. When the guys are talking one hand operation they are not kidding.

I've had very good support with my Strike Master products. The factory is only 40 minutes from my home. So I can get things resolve quickly when they come up. That's why I buy them over some of the other products. But I may be selling mine next winter and pick up a Nils. It was just that big of a difference.

This is my take on augers... All get the job done, and each have their benefits and downfalls at times... For one, I have used and seen the Nils in action, a great cutting machine and they are getting a great following. But on the other hand, one thing that sways me to stick with my StikeMaster's, is that if in the event I am on the road and need misc parts, I know most retailers will carry what I need for this line. This along with solid units in the Lazers and great customer service keeps me buying StrikeMaster... The part situation goes with Jiffy too. Just something to think about.. especially if you fish a lot, and travel from place to place to get your fishing fixes in!!! grin.gif

Well fellas, I took the nils to a little lake this morning to test it after running the engine for several hours yesterday. I must have gotten one with the engine tolerances extremely tight. That thing went through 8 inchs of ice like a hot knife through a butter stick. I must have drilled 40 holes in less than 5 minutes. You do not put any pressure on this thing and it literally pulls itself through the ice. Gotta hang on or it will pull ya right into the lake LOL Shut it off and let it cool down for about 20 minutes. Poped off on first pull. drilled several more holes. Walked around some carrying it and it is really light. After all my disappointment from the first outing I am now extremely pleased. It is exactly what I was looking for and heard about. This thing kicks (Contact US Regarding This Word). I have owned Jiffy and Strikemaster and there both good but I have never experienced a drill that drills so fast and is as light as this one. And they say they just get stronger as the motor breaks in. I am a believer. Thanks to Paul Waldowski for the break-in tip. Like I mentioned earlier , I have some radio controlled air-plane engines that are built like a swiss watch and needed a lot of breaking in to run decent too. BTW, keep you fingers at least 6 inches away from the blades. My God are they sharp!

I love the feedback,

I don't have either a Lazer Xpress or Nils but all these stories about the Nils has got me in some kind of Nils trance. I'm gonna have to hunt somebody down near me to try this Nils out in person...

If I buy just the hand auger, can I buy just the powerhead later on? I really want a Nils but I can't afford to drop 5 Bills on one right now.