• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

This Saturday, Manor pit..........

Let's see how many FM'ers are going to be there. I will be bringing two portables so there should be room for anyone who wants to warm up.

I might bring a small gas grill. What do you guys think.

So who's comin?

Hey Dano, smallie here alive and kickin'. Still recovering from a pretty major surgery I had last month but am anxious to check out some ice. My son has some bb games on Sat. but I'm curious what time you are thinking about being on the ice. Maybe I can at least pop in and say hi. let me know.

Steve

Hey bud! I'll be there from around 9:00 till around 5:00.

Glad to hear your doing good. It's been a long time Steve, you gotta get out and wet a line Dude!

Unless something changes my co-worker and I are planning on being there. Might op-out for some backwater action. It would be good to see everyone, but there is something about the oppurtunity to catch a big a$$ crappie or perch.

Guys,

I'll be there sunup to sundown. Green medium cabin otter shak. Feel free to stop by.

Nate, that's one mean looking rabbit hunting machine ya got there. Funny picture for sure!

Damnation....If all of you show up to fish Saturday the ice will be sagging. I guess that means I'll have to break down and hit it tomorrow to "pre fish" the puddle. GPS coords of the hot spots will sell for twenty bucks a pop; first come, first serve. lol

AND....I might show up out there on Saturday early afternoon.

Tom- I was having the same thought. What time were you thinking of going? I get done at 2 and was thinking of getting out there around 3. Maybe I'll run into you.

Crick.... if you are thinking about tomorrow I will do the morning most likely. I haven't heard whether Ma is taking the day off tomorrow, but if she does, the afternoon might work for me too and I'd plan until dark. I'll know later and can post when I plan to do it tonight later....9 or so. Its good for me to be out of the house when she has time to think...dangerous woman if she starts that.... so the afternoon might be plausible. If she works I'll likely do the AM shot though.

Right now I am planning to do Saturday shortly after the noon dinner bell whines and will be there for at least a couple hours,so if your reference is for Saturday you'll probably bump into me then.

We mainly use a waxie, sometime two or three. Sometimes a crappie minnow. This place isn't notorious for big gills, mostly numbers over size. The place will kick out a few in the 9 inch range but that's generally not the norm. The crappies tend to be small too, and like the gills a few can be caught that are a bit larger.

I have a huge supply of waxies so don't be shy. Come and get some!

Quote:

If all of you show up to fish Saturday the ice will be sagging.

I am already worried about getting on this early ice. Please reassure me that we are safe doing this. Will it be OK if I bring my dog too? She may look like a wolf in the avatar, but she acts like a 6 pound cat grin.gif

Murph....Just kidding the boys. Ice will be solid enough by then. I am hearing of 4-5 inches out there. Nice looking dog, but I have seen six pound cats that I'd prefer on guard duty in Iraq.

Murph,

I'm a huge dog lover and I'd like to see Bailey.. If the ice is 4+ inches, you will be just fine as will your dog.

SOunds like fun....but I doubt I can make it.

Question though - where does one get on the CC pits? Last winter I came thru the Interlochen subdivision to a crude driveway/ramp at the end of a city street. But seems to me I read somewhere (here on FM?) that all the lots were now posted no trespassing.

Thanks

UG

I haven't been down there yet this year, but last year I was getting out from Lake street. Go in down by Trade Mart Furniture.

Lemme see now, Murph, Danno, Alex, Tyler and co., DowntoEarth, self....there were a few. DTE and I hit the pond together and were set up in Dan's extra abode. Good outting for Andy....he surpassed his ice fishing day's high catch by a bunch. But then he'd only ever caught one fish thru the ice.

We had flurries of hot action and then some quiet times. The fish were defintely on a meat diet and red glow was HOT in our shed. I took us little time to figure out that as soon as the jigs were re-kindled, the bite was off and running again.

The wind sure was howling out there, but the temps todays were much nicer than yesterday. If I ever go outside this winter and not find the wind blowing I am going to think OI am in another state. And yes I will argue with anyone who says the wind blows....it sucks. Big time.

Yep, another typical Manor pit day. Lots of litlle sunfish, with the occasional 8"er to keep things interesting. All told between me Al and Murph, I bet we got 30 fish.

Tyler, Jim Mason, and Murph, all got some bass too. I got a quick picture of Scott's before he sent it back down the hole.

pic1635mg.jpg

Here's a quick look at what it looked like out there today.

pic1626dq.jpg

Hey Tyler, how did you do down at the other end of the south pit. Alex made the trek down to see you and he said (at that time) you weren't into them yet. Any luck?

Andy, I'll sweeten the deal and throw in an auger on the deal. What do ya say?

Thanks for the hospitality Dan. That was my first ice fishing experience and minus the wind, I am hooked. I look forward to many more outings this winter! I want to try and ice some cats out on Lake Zumbro. How long before you put the permanent out?

Nice to finally meet Tyler and CT as well. I would have visited with you guy’s more, but did not want to stray to far from the heat of the shack. That wind was brutal!

Likewise on the intros Murph. The wind? It was a piece of cake on Saturday. You should have been out thereon Friday with it as strong, but at 9 degrees and no shelter.

I am going to hop unto the Zum this week sometime. Comin up on a full moon will likely have the crappies on a tear. Love to jig them up.

CT

What day are u planing to go to the zumbro. id like to make it out ealier this year cause my dad last year just nailed the crappies early ice. I was hooked on the backwaters at this time and didnt do nearly as good as him. drop me an email a day or so before you go [email protected] always nice to have a couple of people out.

It was very nice to finally meet you all (Jim, Murph, Alex, and Andy-(Rugyguy)). I always enjoy meeting more FMers.

Getting on the pits proved to be a challange from both angles we attempted. From the West, you have to cross open water (ankle deep), and those that came from the North were given dirty words.

Fishing on the North pit for me produced about 25 small sunnies, and 3 11-13" largies. I got on the ice around 8 and Matt (howellcanufish) hooked up with me around 12:45. We were planning a fresh fish fry, and at 2:00 our pail was still empty so we decided to move to the South pit. Andy followed, but didn't have much luck on the South pit.

We fished until 9:00 and most our action was after dark. We caught 4 crappie up to 11" and 8 gills over 7.75" Boy oh boy were they tasty.

Sounds like fun out there. So what is the best way to access the ponds? I want to be sure to be legal and all.

The preceding question is one I have waited to hear answered a long time. How can you legally get onto those pits out by the Manor, along second street..? Shrouded in mystery.

Sparetime, Cove....

Right now the only way in without any bickering is off 36th ave and onto Interlochen. Turn north on 36th off second street. Go about three blocks and take the first right, then another quick right and then a quick left. You will see a gateway right at the end of the street, next to the entry into the cul-du-sac. Park along the curb on the street, but not in the loop. Walk straight back from there along the berm until you come to the closing dam . Skinny down the hill, wade the creek, and stay along the shore line until you get past the open water and then spread out from there.

Thanks CrappieTom. I just don't want to stir up any trouble with the natives, as I know they are protective of the water they live by.

Just want to make sure that the area remains available to fish until the city makes it a park. I am going to check with the park board on their schedule for creation of the Cascade park, and will post back what I find out.

Saturday definately was a banner ice fishing day for me. I managed to sneak away for a couple hours with Tom and as Tom posted previously did quite well. Even without using electronics I managed very good success on the sunnies. The red glow jig was definatly a producer. Not quite sure when the next time I'll get out will be, but at least I started the season on a high note. Though to be honest I'm pretty easily satisfied with any success ice fishing wise.

Andy

As promised. The future plans for the ponds being created into Cascade Park, are mining activity to be complete in 2007 or 2008 with parking lot and trails completed scheduled for completion by 2009. I'm sure the schedule isn't set in stone, but there will be good access within the next few years. You may think that as good or bad, its really in your perception.

Overall it will be a nice addition to the City of Rochester.