• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Homemade minerals for deer

Mark Christianson

I found this on the internet.

I'll be giving it a try next spring. What the heck.....

Well, maybe I will. Maybe some replies will make me think different. wink.gif

WHITETAIL DEER HOMEMADE MINERAL MIX RECIPE

Ingredients: Makes 200 lbs. for about $23.00

1 part Di-calcium phosphate, this is a dairy feed additive bought at feed stores.

Comes in 50lb Bags at around $11.00 you need one bag.

2 parts Trace mineral salt, the red and loose kind without the medications.

Comes in 50lb Bags at around $5.00 you need two bags.

1 part Stock salt, ice cream salt.

Comes in 50lb Bags at around $2.00 you need one bag.

Directions:

-Use a 3 pound or similar size coffee can to use as your measure for each part of the mix.

-Mix all together well but not until ready to use, keep ingredients seperate until ready to put to use.

-Dig or tear up a circle in the soil about 36 inches wide and about 6 inches deep.

-Mix your mineral mixture with the soil.

Maintenance:

-Replenish in 6 months with fresh supply of mineral, and then each year there after.

Guys on QDMA debate this recipe quite often. Some like it, most do not, it's essentially 75% salt and 25% dairy minerals. Deer will not eat dairy minerals unless they're buried in salt. I put out mineral licks but I try to avoid salt.

Good topic! Does anyone know of a homemade recipe for a deer feed block? I know they are not that expensive to buy, but I would like to try my own mixture. How do they compress them?