• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Marcum LX-5

vexilarkid

Question

Anyone out there have the new Marcum LX-5? What do you think? I'm thinking about upgrading from an FL-18 and I would just like to see what some of you think. Anywhere the cheapest to get them or do most all of the stores run around $489.99 like Cabelas and Reeds. Thanks for the info.

24 answers to this question

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Everyone seems to have it for the same price. I'm sure that units are price protected. Check around though as these have been flying off the shelves. Some palces have them in stock while others are waiting for shipments. The demand for these have been overwelming.

I just got mine LX5 yesterday. I saw and played with several units at the ice show last weekend. The display is very bright and crisp. I'll be getting mine out on the ice soon to give a practical demonstration.

Vexilarkid,

I like it. Very crisp and sharp resolution. I like having all the controls right on the keypad, too. Here's some more thoughts on the LX-5. LX-5

Vexilar, you might have to change your name. I have also been a diehard Vex person for a while now, but with all the talk about these new Marcum's I have been doing some hard thinking about a new one. I think I might wait until they have been out and tested by others, but eventually I will probably have one on the ice next to me.

Just got back from using my LX-5 for the first time and I have to say that I like it a lot. The zoom is awesome and the display is super bright and accurate. This is the first MarCum I've owned and it could be compared to going from a regular TV to High Definition. If you've seen HD, you know what I'm referring to.

I didn't think I'd like the softcase but it's much better than the ultra-pack my FL-8 has.

So far so good! smile.gif

LMITOUT - You mentioned the softpack and how you enjoyed it. The new softpack for the LX-5 has been redesigned to open up deeper for 6' guys like myself. I noticed that immediately when I opened the box. Just another reason why MarCum delivers for there customers. You ask for it and they deliver, plain and simple. The transducer well on both the LX-3(TC) and LX-5 was built with security and protection in mind. A little here and a little there and it all adds up to the best built true 3 color flasher in the industry. It's good to see reports coming back in on the LX-5 and if we ever get the lake effect/ nor easter snow machine turned off here I will have some time to play with this beauty myself...

Th, not sure I understand your qusetion. The LX-5 does not have an Autozoom, it has a moveable zoom. Where you can zoom on any 10 foot or any 5 foot section of the water columb. So if your fishing 40 feet of water for crappies that are suspended 15 feet down.. You can concentrate on 15 feet of water and have the unit have a smaller target seperation.

I do believe that Vexlar calls what the FL-18 has Autozoom. When you turn the zoom on, it will zoom in on the bottom 6 feet of the water columb. For a walleye angler, this is really great, because again, you concentrate on the area where the fish are. You can do the same thing with the marcum units, just moving the zoom down to the bottom.

Hope this helps!

Trouthunter,

I kind of skimmed thru the manual, so I may have missed it, but I didn't see anything in there about autozoom.

Could you clarify a bit?

vexilarkid,

If your in the market for a new flasher, I highly recommend the LX-5. The color and sharpness is unbeatable. The price should be the same no matter where you buy it.

I thought i heard matt johnson talking about autozoom, and read about autozoom on a few other posts...something about the zoom following fish up the column or something...I'll see if i can find a post to reference...

I also checked the manual.

Sorry for the vaugue question, but i figured if it was a familiar feature, you'd know what it was right away. I think my question is answered.

BD

Scoot-

I have an LX-3, which I'm assuming is very similar in size to the LX-5, and yes, both would fit inside a 5 gallon bucket. Personally, I put mine my camo duck blind bag-has the hard bottom for much better protection than a bucket and has extra room for other gear too.

Has someone written a good review of the LX5 on this site? I did a feature by feature comparision from the manuals between the lx5 and the lx3tc, and the differences seemed nominal...I have an LX3 now, looking to upgrade, but curious what I will find that will impress me. I have an FL18 now, and rarely if ever use the dual beam ducer.

BD

Trouthunter,

There has been some talk of the LX-5, but since they have just recently hit the stores (and ice isn't great for much of the lower part of the state... frown.gif, people haven't had much time using them I presume) I have used my LX-5 almost every day since I received it....over 10 days ago.

I owned last year's LX-3, and the LX-5 is a definite improvement...hands down. The colors, the crispness of the screen, Super Fine Line, Zoom, is much more distinct. The LX-5 has the Super Fine Line, more power, and the 8 degree option over the LX-3tc. When I am fishing a steep break (where I have been this time of year) the 8 degree transducer has worked sweet. I can clearly see my lure and feel the lure hit the bottom...no more dead space on those steep dropoffs where your lure disappears in the dead zone.

I think I read you had the updates completed on your LX-3. It's a fine unit, no doubt, but the LX-5 has more options like I already mentioned above, and there is a performance difference IMO. If you don't care for the 8 degree transducer option, SFL, and more power...the LX-3tc will be a fine choice also. I really love this flasher, and my friend's who fished with me all last weekend were taking it from me when I wasn't looking... mad.gif lol

Great to hear. I'll probably buy one because I have Gift Certificates that I need to use up...but I was just curious if there was something that stood out beyond a doubt as a gotta have feature that was only available on the lx5. Thanks for the feedback

BD

TH- the LX-5 has a dual beam tranceducer... so if you fish a lot of areas that have a sharp break, this is a HUGE feature!.. It illiminates the dead zone. The LX-5 also has the fineline, which really cleans up the screen. I really like my LX-5!!! But the biggest advantage it has over the LX-3tc is the dual beam tranceducer!

I just really love the new red soft case. LOL tongue.gif Just kidding. some-what. Simply put, Marcum LX-5 has all the bells and whistles, period. grin.gif

Picked one up last night...I ran the units side by side and from reading the manual earlier i learned how to set it into simulation mode...Immediately noticed how crisp the colors were...waaaaaaaaaay better than the FL18 i was using. I now have an upgraded lx3 and lx5 and never used either. time to get out on the ice...or find stuff that deitz doesnt have!

BD

I had my LX-5 on the ice for the first time today running and gunning for bluegills and crappies in 8'-15' of water and all I can say is "WOW" The superfine line feature is absolutely incredible and the detail was so precise. I couldn't believe the difference between the regular mode and super fine line! It was enhanced, crisply separated, and provided more definition than I expected. I loved it so much that I fished with SFL mode on all day. I thought zoom was the best feature in the LX-3 but super fine line in the LX-5 takes the cake, I'm hooked! We caught quite a few fish today but not many big ones, a couple of nice crappies and 1/2 dozen keeper gills and quite a few small gills and perch. The new TC true colors were vibrant and very distinguishable. Green was the right call. I got used to the new colors quick and with the super fine line there's no doubt MarCum delivered a grand slam with this unit.

Of all the new features on the lx-5 I think the most useful will be the dual beem. While fishing in 25' of water next to my partner with his lx-3 and a camera down between us, there tends to be plenty on the flasher. I hit the dual beam button to 8 degrees and not only do I get rid of my buddies jig, I also get rid of the camera mark and can see only my jig. The new colors are nice since the one thing I missed when I switched from an fl-8 to an lx-3 was the green.

If you haven't fished with the zoom, you'll absolutely love it. I was in 25' of water and the crappies were coming in from 3'-13' under the ice. I just put my zoom window in the 10' span which show on the left side of the screen and I could still see the gills that were on the bottom of the lake on the right side of the screen. Add the super-fine line and you can almost stick the jig in their mouth.

Very pleased with the lx-5 to say the least.

I bought mine yesterday. Played with it on the ice for about an hour. All I can say is WOW!. I have been using a Vex fl-8 for years, But I can't wait to take the LX-5 out again. In a nutshell, for me, it was like trading in my Atari 2600 for an X-Box.