• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Did you guys see that OTC buck in the Photo Contest topic????

http://www.fishingminnesota.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=670598&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=5&vc=1#Post670598

Page 5 about half way down, posted by walleye jigger.

Anyone know any more details on this thing? Any reports in local papers or anything yet?

Saw it and about fell out of my chair. I heard a rumor that the gentlemen who shot it had about a 10 yd shot with his muzzleloader and the deer only weighed 150 pounds. No matter what, It's a beautiful deer.

MJ

I gotta believe the rumors are gonna far outweigh the truths we hear about this thing....

150 lbs???? Rumor number 1.... smirk.gif

I saw it on that thread, and my jaw hit my desk. Wow! What a rack! Mass, tines, and spread - it has it all. One of the most impressive deer I have ever seen.

Rumors are true. That buck was taken south of New York Mills. The weight was around 150. The story is the person was walking and saw the buck put its head up and then put his head back down. He was about 5 yds from it and took his shoot. Not a ounce of fat on it.

It was shot about a mile from my co-worker's house. He saw it in person and said it was skin and bones. Ive got some more pics of it if anyone is interested.

I stopped and talked to Brandon,the gentleman who shot the deer. He said that he stepped over some fallen timber and it was laying there approx 7 feet away. The buck just layed its head down and Brandon took two more steps and he shot it. I guess that it weighed next to nothing, the bucks eyes were sunk in and it looked very dehydrated. He figured that it has just worn it self out from the rut? Nice deer though. Buck of a lifetime..

Not the prettiest pic....

bernu007medium3uz.jpg

Some shots in the field would be awesome.

Was this deer wounded? Shot earlier in the year with rifle? Possibly hit by a car?

It sure sounds like there were a lot of other issues with this deer versus just running himself to death.

i was told that the deer stunk so bad that the hunters gagged and threw up when they gutted it out. Also, the deer weighed less than 150 lbs, more like 130.

one week earlier a 138" ten pointer was shot in the exact same spot, also with muzzleloader.

so why would it stink so bad????

Is there something about this deer we dont know about??

Was the thing dead when he walked up on it? shocked.gif

Hence the reason it stunk so bad.

Was it gut shot and festering?

I have never heard of the rut shrinking a deer that horribly AND making them stink more.

Just jealous it wasnt me.... grin.gif

Can you help assist with the reasoning about it stinking so bad? That puzzles me.

Then again, just think how many other "rumors" are running around about this same deer.

Hey I totally agree with you on that one.. If I shot a deer like that I'd be proud of it, no matter what people said about it..

I gotta see more pictures of this thing. Anyone have any of the 'skin and bones' pictures that they can post or email?

fishn4fun

I have some "skin and bone" pics they are of the head only. I will try and post them here. Otherwise post your email and I will send them.

Tom

Nobody has a shot of this deer in the round?? Like his body?? If it was me, I may have worn out a camera or two taking photos...That thing is huge, I don't think anyone is trying to say it isn't a monster but, a picture of basically his head and one of a cleaned skull? How can these be the only pics? Can anyone be blamed for wanting to see all of this deer? That alone breeds the doubt...

• 2 weeks later...

Quote:

so why would it stink so bad????

I shot a deer in Iowa two years ago. It had one if it eyes poked out from fighting during the rut I am guessing. I went with a european mount. So while I was removing the skin to the head it stunk so bad that me and everyone around me was gagging. I don't know but maybe a infection in a deer produces a nasty smell. I can guarantee you this one was on foot and I shot it as it was going about 55 miles an hour away from me. Don't automatically assume this was a wounded or sick deer. The rut does relly kick those bucks in the butt!

Nice Deer!!

Mark