• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I Need help with a south east metro lake (Cottage Grove)

I live in a dessert in the middle of 10,000 lakes. I live in St. Paul Park/Cottage Grove Area and there is just not a decent place to fish anywhere close. I spent the last 2 years driving out to Bald Eagle and have done moderately well but its a long drive and it hasn't been overly productive for me. I know I am not going to find anything real close but I can't seem to find anything even moderatley close that I can find fish. I just want to know from some of you if you lived where I do and wanted to focus on 1 lake to catch some Crappies and maybe have a chance at a few Eyes, Where would you go?

Secondly I would just like to thank All of you. I have learned so much the last couple years it is amazing, Now if I can just translate that into more action I will be a very happy man. Good luck and be safe,

The Mississippi. It's the best overall fishery in the metro. Of course there is a bit of problem with it, minimal safe ice. Obviously, there is no safe ice in the main channel. There are some areas in the backwaters that can be fished cautiously, but access can be an issue. So, I know that's not a good answer, but it's an honest answer. There are times when you can launch a boat down there in the winter and have some exceptional walleye and sauger fishing if that's an option for you.

You might want to look at Lake Rebecca down in Hastings. At times it can be a decent panfish fishery. However, I don't really have any first hand knowledge of what it's like nowadays.

You're right. You're on a lakeless island down there. I'm not sure what else to tell you, but jump into your ride and drive. frown.gif

Yeah, Ive thought about the river but that scares me a bit too much. i am willing to drive but which lake here on the east side of the cities would be worth putting my time into. Ive tried DeMontreville, Olson, Rebecca, Powers, Elmo, Jane, Etc. without much of anything. So I went to WBL but it is so huge it is tough for my minimal experience. And the place ive done the best is Bald eagle but nothing to brag about and it is so busy. I obviously need to work on my technique and map reading skills. That is why I would like to focus on 1 lake to really learn how to scout out a spot and find some fish. Just looking for some thoughts or opinions on these east side lakes.

I have fished most of those lakes you mentioned. I have found Demontreville and Olson to only be good if you want to catch about a bizzilion little sunfish. Jane has a little better panfish but nothing really great. However tip ups can be a lot of fun out there. Elmo is pretty difficult to fish and always is the last to have good ice. However I have seen some nice northerns and even some walleyes come through the ice out there. I have probably spent the most time fishing Powers and it can be good if you put your time into fishing it and learning it but it also gets a fair amount of pressure. However if I had to tell you one to learn and happens to be the one closest to you I would probably say Powers. It just has a really special place in my heart (mainly cuz it is where I have caught my biggest walleye) If you need more specific info just ask and I am sure I or other guys on here could answer your questions.

keep fishin'

wall-i-king