• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Big Eagle Lake in Big Lake

I just moved to the Big Lake area, and I noticed a lake,Big Eagle Lake, not too far from home. I looked on the DNR website and found no listing for it. Was wondering if anyone has fished it and how u have done. Walleyes? Crappies?

It's just listed as eagle lake and it is mostly pannies and northerns. There are wallys but not very many.

I've taken some nice crappies out the past couple of years. 10-13 inchers ,but there's alot of small ones to weed through. Good luck!!

If this is the Eagle lake just north of Big lake (the city) it might be the worst lake I have ever fished. My wife's aunt owns a place on the south side of the lake and we visit their place a few times a year. I bring my boat to give me an excuse to get away from the family get together. I have spent so many hours trolling for pike and Walleye as well as casting for bass during prime time hours and come up with next to nothing. I am talking about casting plastics, spinners and a variety of topwater baits for bass for around 8-10 hours ( around the entire lake) and catching 1 or two fish.... This is not a one time experience. I've trolled with live bait, and almost every Walleye lure in the box with zero luck... Probably 40 - 50 hours total. As far as pike... This is probably your best bet. I have landed 2 or 3 hammer handles while casting and trolling... around 30 hours I would say. In summary, if I had a choice I would not fish that lake given the proximity to other quality lakes in that area. I am actually trying to talk my wifes aunt and uncle into selling the place and get on a better lake. Eagle lake is over used as a recreation lake. I beleive because of a max depth of 22ft that this messes the lake up... As far as hard water? I have no idea and wouldn't waste my time trying to find out. Hope this helps.... Sorry news wasn't better. From one FMer to another... It is good to be honest. smirk.gif

Sorry to join in on slamming Eagle Lake but my buddy lives on the east side of the lake and we fish it all the time on hard water. It sucks. We are going on 4 years now and have never caught a crappie worth cleaning. He caught a 30" pike 2 years ago but other then that its great for bottle bass. Try Mitchell for craps or Big for walleyes by the channel to mitchell.