• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

A friend wants to go to Minnewawa this weekend, we have not fished this lake before. Any reports on ice and suggestions on places to try?

Thanks

Have not heard on ice thickness.

Try the north points off the reed Islands on the West main lake. If you go out from the landing at Sporty's, you should also be able to track down a mid water hump about half way across. On the East side access at the burned out Timbershores site, you can usually pick up fish in there.

In my experience, any fishing on Minnewawa is subject to sorting through alot of small fish. Good # of catchables, but hard to come by. Ask at Willys, it may be worth the extra couple miles to try Round for walleyes.

The weed line drops at around 14'. Hit Willy's for bait on 65 at the turn to Minnewawa, they'll get ya closer.

Good luck- and let us know how you did!

Thanks for the info, I heard there was 10" if ice on the bays of Mille Lacs and 6" on the rest of the lake. I would think that Minnewawa would be mostly safe. Are there any areas that we should avoid?

thanks

There is an outlet on the SW corner and some flow comes in from Horsehoe Lake. I do not recall any areas of legend due to current or springs. My ice time on M'wawa is pretty limited, mostly during the Sportsman's Club tourney time.

If you stop at Willy's, ask about Big Sandy also. If the crappies are hitting, it may be worth the extra effort.

The narrows on the north west part of the main lake are usually good. Watch out if traveling around though, Minnewawa is an aerated lake. The open area is usually marked.

We found the narrows Saturday, things were a little slow. Couple of small northerns and a small perch. People driving on the lake, there was 12" of ice at the narrows.

Hello all, I too fished minnewawa this weekend --- and where I was fishing there was only 6 inches of ice -- so I wouldn't recommend driving --- I heard from a neighbor that the crappies were biting in the narrows up until this weekend -- I've been on the lake for 44 years and my mother and father longer then that - and to my knowledge it's never been aireated -- it's a spring fed lake that requires no aireation. As for fishing it was good this weekend for little northerns (which the lake has a bunch of) and a few nice bass. This lake used to produce huge panfish but now you must weed through the tiny ones to get a few for a meal (and those few are still considered small) with that said it is a nice lake to bring the family to if you're looking for action.

Quote:

I've been on the lake for 44 years and my mother and father longer then that - and to my knowledge it's never been aireated

The DNR lists it on their website as an aerated lake, I guess I'd have to believe it. I don't know if it is every year, but I have seen the open aerated area in the past and it was marked. I haven't been up yet since first ice this year though.

Aside from that, that is just about exactly the amount of time our family has been up there. My dad bought in 1959. What part of the lake are you guys on? We are on the west shore of the main lake.

Just thought I would settle the debate on aeration... My family has been on the lake for 95 years and there has never been a problem with winter kill. There is an aerator on the lake, but it is in a lagoon that is about 3 feet deep. I believe the homeowner puts it in, and since it is a public lake, the DNR has to post it as an aerated lake. For the most part the lake is very safe and doesn't have any current or springs that cause problems. The only problem I have seen over the years is the over fishing of crappies. People get very greedy when the bite is on. Now days it's hard to catch a limit and the size is way down.

My grand parents were located on the west shore but across the road -- my parents had a place along the west shore main basen as well and about 20 years ago bought down on "Kimble Point" which is located right where you enter sportsmans bay --- as far as aireation, yep i knew of the one in the lagoon - but then i really don't considered that aireation (unlike the DNR). so i guess i stand corrected smile.gif -- the panfish in the "olden days" were huge (pound+ sunnies and crappies) but the over harvest of the large northerns and the panfish when they're on the spawning beds really has decimated a good fishery. I wonder what happened to sportsman bay -- that bay used to be loaded with lilly pads (again back in the olden days) but now it's just milfoil type weeds -- any guess on that? --- if you know how to fish weed walleyes - this is a good lake.

I guess you learn something every day! Now I stand corrected too. shocked.gif I was unaware that a private citizen was allowed to install an aeration system on a public lake. I just assumed the DNR always did it. The official word from the DNR is: "The aeration system on Minnewawa was privately installed and operated under a DNR permit. The permit has not been renewed this year, but it was included on the list of aerated lakes just in case".