• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Minnetonka - Saturday, January 28

Matt Johnson

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Matt Johnson

• metrojoe

• markkstanley

• John Mickish

Matt, those gills were extra thick. Very well fed. A pound easy on that 10". As usual left the camera at home. Here's the good part. The biggest three gills all hit a crappie minnow. After I got my first crappie I deadsticked a minnow about 7ft down as the first crappie came in high up in the column. Got crazy after that. Several doubles and all bluegills. Never did get a crappie on minnows. Flutterbugs were the go to jig. Thx for the headsup on that jig grin.gif

It was great getting together with all of you. We had Maxwell Bay pretty well covered. Apparently nytelyter caught the only fish in the lake. Man was that thing a pig. I haven't seen a crappie that big for some time. Hopefully we can squeeze another get together in sometime before ice out.

Wow nytelyter, congrats that thing is huge. I saw you start whooping over there and hold it up. I should have came over to have a look at it before we left. We only managed a handful of small perch so we packed up and went to grays bay. We ended up catching a ton of gills, perch, crappie and even a small lm bass. It really seemed like the structure on a string held the fish there all day because once they moved in they never left. Not much for size, a few borderline keepers, but the action was hot. Also got a bonus as a 45" musky decided to slowly cruise by a few inches underneath our holes. My girlfriend screamed when she saw it. She vows to never go swimming in tonka again grin.gif Sure strange fishing in the rain though. It was nice meeting of all of you. Maybe see you guys on the lake sometime smile.gif

Had a good time on Tonka, though I ended up flying around more than fishing. I guess that's what happens when you worked the O/N shift and the only thing bitting are small perch...Hundreds of them! Of course that Crappie was the exception, and a HUGE one at that.

After Tonka, I headed up to meet ShawnnyB on Forest lake. Same luck, only I actually caught small gills in with the small perch. LOL Lots of (Contact US Regarding This Word) traveling across the lake at 40-50+ mph in their pickups. I'm surprised no one went in!

Hey, where did the trucks go in on Tonka? I keep hearing about it from others but don't know what day or where.

And a HUGE thank you to (insert name here, completely forgot, sorry) for the bait! I didn't have time before work to pick up bait, nore after. Hopefully I can return the favor sometime!

Unfortunatly I'm going to miss the brawl. Too bad, too! I was looking forward to the event for some time now. With some luck I'll track down some larger fish in Ely this weekend!

Hey Mark,

I think you and I fish alot in the same arae on tonka, I as well ran into some really nice gills, a bunch of 8" s and 9.5" was the biggest. Caught a half a dozen crappies or so, all on waxies, couldnt get them to take a minnow, the biggest one was 12". The shallow water was the key.

(Contact US Regarding This Word)

Like in hovermn's post, why do I always see this in so many posts?

Glad you guys had a good time on minnetonka, I need to get out there very soon.

Good luck!

Quote:

(Contact US Regarding This Word)

Like in hovermn's post, why do I always see this in so many posts?

It's a word, phrase or website, picked up by the word filter, that is not allowed.

I've got a green Otter and I've been walking out. Had the same bite with crappies a week ago. They would only hit waxies. Was out last night so so. Bite totally shut off around 6pm and I mean totally.