• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Minnetonka - Saturday, January 28

Matt Johnson

Quote:

Sorry fellas but won't be making this one. heading to Mille Lacs for the weekend

See how are ya are? grin.gif

I didn't get "the look" but I definitely got a look when I mentioned a weekend at LOW to the better half. grin.gif I'm still not sure about that weekend. Seems like I'm doing so much talking, emailing, and planning fishing trips I don't have anytime to fish.

I'd be interested in meeting for breakfast before we meet at the lake, say about 6ish. The problem is finding a place to eat in the Minnetonka area thats open that early. How about the closest Denny's/Perkins?

See you guys on Tonka.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Matt Johnson

• metrojoe

• markkstanley

• John Mickish

Moving around out on some main lake spots. More checking ice than actual fishing. 13" of ice about 10" of it clear ice. Seeing more vehicles. Looks like we could drive out IF we are careful. Avoid all channel areas and narrow spots. I plan on checking the ice thickness in the Howards Point area on Wednesday. If it is same thickness as last nights measurement I would feel safe driving small trucks/cars on the ice. As to fishing couple of looks but no takers. Hope the wind lets me get out tonight.

It sounds like we could at least park on the ice. That would open up other areas if it's a big turn out.

Yep, the get together is free. Just a chance for anglers to get together and enjoy a day on the ice and catch a few fish.

Thanks for the report Mark. Hopefully this warm weather we're going to see won't hurt the ice too much. Upper 30's and possible a day of low 40's doesn't look too promising on preserving the ice conditions. We'll have to play it by ear and see how things go on Saturday. Either way this event is going to be a lot of fun! And I'm sure we'll find some fish somewhere, whether it's panfish, pike, walleye, etc...

Ice should still form over the next few days since bulk of the day is below freezing. Those higher temps are really going to make the surface slick though. Think I might strap a boat cushion to my keister if I am walking anywhere.

Ya, that and the back of my melon too. It sure is worth the money to invest in cleats.

I just hope it's not windy like today. You can really tell that N. Dakota blows and Wisconsin sucks on days like this. grin.gif

How is up for breakfast at Perkins on 55 and 494 at 6:00? You have to start the day out with a belly full of pancakes you know!

Geez... 6am! Looks like I'm not chasing midnight gills on Friday now wink.gif

I'll probably just meet up with everyone at the access at 7am. Friday's already looking like a busy day for me and Sunday's not looking any better.

Looks like the weather should be decent on Saturday. Looks like the high is 39! Not much wind forecasted either...

Sounds like mnfishinguy and I are going to meet at the Perkins on 494 and Hwy 55 in Plymouth. This is an open invitation guys. Anyone thats interested can meet us there at 6:00am. Otherwise see you all at Maxwell Bay.

Corey- You know we'll have awhile before boats are needed. Cool you jets man! wink.gif Its January remember.

Ice is still about 12" but you might be wading. A good 2" of water in some spots last night and a real pain to walk anywhere. You will need ice grippers for your boots. Crappie bite was OK. A fish about every 10 minutes but nothing over 10". I plan on chasing pike and panfish most of tomorrow and head to a walleye spot around sunset. Sadly, I will be on foot as the snowmobile is still in the shop and I just don't feel that great about driving a vehicle out on the ice.

I'm in for Perkin's as well. I actually needed the help with directions and this way I get food and I can follow you to the site.

Is there a stop on the way for bait? And we can still arrive by 7AM?

Metrojoe---lets talk about Medicine as well.

We'll have to back track a bit, but there is a spot to stop and get bait on the way. They open at 6am. smile.gif We may be a little pressed for time, but I think we'll be allright. It's about 12 miles+/- from Perkins to Maxwell Bay. Don't be late. wink.gif

Bring radios if you've got them.

Iam trying to get directions to Maxwell Bay! I will be coming from Mpls. If anyone can help, that will be great!! THANKS!!

Take 394 which turns into 12 and continue until exit west Hwy 15. Take that to 51 and go right (only way). Maxwell bay will be the first boat landing on your right next to lakeside marina.

Shoot, I didn't see this post as I've been busy and missed out on this!!

I wanted to fish tonka so bad too.

Let us know how it went, I may head out there tomorrow for walleyes hopefully.

Also any good local bait shops on the way from bloomington.

thanks, josh!!!

Tonka was fun while it lasted. And we did manage to see nytelyter land a heafty 14.75 inch white crappie!!!

nytelytercrappie2.JPG

nytelytercrappie.JPG

Let me say, this fish was a pig! I swear it could swallow a tennis ball! Nytelyter will be getting trophy to put on his wall from this fine specimen! smile.gif

We also landed several panfish and perch in both Maxwell and Crystal Bay. Nothing big (other than the fish above wink.gif), but some consistent action once we got into Crystal.

Some guys were also fishing tip-ups and we saw several flags and several pike throughout the morning.

hovermn also brought along his hover-craft and we got to see that bad boy in action! Very cool!

BDR, myself, and several others, made the hike to Medicine Lake around noon or so. Tonka was somewhat slow and we were limited to where we could fish because of ice conditions and not being able to drive out. Medicine was a little better, but nothing to really brag home about.

Not too bad weather wise, and it was nice to put a few more faces with some of the names. I just wish the ice would have cooperated this year so we could have effectively targeted some walleye. Oh well, maybe next year we'll have the "1st Ice Fishing Metro Walleye Get Together." smile.gif

Enjoy the rest of the weekend!

Wow, congrats on the pig crappie. I have always believed Tonka to be a world class fishery for all species. It is one of the few bodies of water that consistantly puts out the 2-3 crappies. I used to fish it more when I was younger and lived in St. Louis Park. However, all the recreation boat traffic eventually pushed me off this body of water. It is a great lake to fish early spring for crappies before all the boat traffic.

There is a little body of water conncected to Tonka calls Libbs lake. In the spring the crappie, walleye, and bass used to spawn back there and it was a blast.

Nytelyter- Congrats on that fish! Wow, what a pig for the metro!

Matt- How long did you guys stay out on Medicine Lake?? You didn't notice the green bullet did ya? I got out around 3:30pm and fished through the rain. Yuck! But the crappies and gills were tearing it up!! Action was good... Size was not so good. grin.gif

hanson,

BDR and I must have left just as you got out there. We found the crappies and gills as well, but the size was probably similar to what you found grin.gif Maybe tomorrow the big ones will want to cooperate...

Didn't even know Tonka had white crappie. Nice fish! I broke off from the crowd to check the action in Phelps. Matt you should have called. Took some searching but I found a honey hole. Close to twenty gills over 8" largest a hair over 10" and I don't know how many between 6" and 8". Got 5 decent crappies too but nothing like that white crapppie. Caught one nice northern just to get it out the way. Kept hanging right under my hole. RIght on the weed edge 12 feet deep. Found some clumps of green coontail and I was in the zone. Mother nature's version of structure on a string grin.gif. I tried deeper but fish just got smaller. And how cool is it to ice fish in January in the rain?

You landed a 10!?!? That's a pounder out on Tonka, nice fish! Yeah, I should have called you, and I would have if I knew you were on those big gills wink.gif

thanks for the pics matt. and thank for organizing the event it was nice to meet more of you. .... paul ........................ see you at the brawl!!