• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Minnetonka - Saturday, January 28

Matt Johnson

I'm with Fishnutbob lets set our focus on Phelps & Goose Island. There are plenty of spots within walking distance.

Plus I'm getting used to walking this year.

Another option might be to fish down near Excelsior & Gideons Bay. Plenty of public parking in Excelsior with all the parking along the Bay there & it is all a short drag to awesome walleye fishing. There is currently 6-8" out there.

Later,

Chris

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Matt Johnson

• metrojoe

• markkstanley

• John Mickish

I am all for staying with Tonka IF the conditions change and the Sheriff/water patrol change thier stance on lake travel.

It would not be too good to have a FM get-together that is disregarding the sheriff recomendation.

Good point Brian.

If everything works out, I'm up for a walk, no problem for me, but I don't want to speak for everyone...

I think we'll find the fish where ever we go. With enough guys and augers we'll at least have a field day on the pannies and pike grin.gif I'm all for trying a new spot I'm not accustomed to fishing, just adds a new dimension that could be a lot of fun. Getting a large group together in search of fish can be rewarding in several ways. And plus, getting all that exercise will make us nice and hungry... since I figured we'd have a grill-out of some sort too grin.gif

Joe,

Look back page six, I tried to explain how to get to them.

But if you have never fished out this way, it's too hard to give you directions on here. Bait store or quide. Sorry

Joe,

Dan and I are trying to figure out where to go on Saturday. We thought about ML but it doesn't sound like we are going to be able to drive out so will most like stay local. I'll talk to him this week and maybe we can hook up on tonka or somewhere around tonka. Did you and john have plans for Saturday?

I have missed this Minnetonka gathering each year as it was always held on the weekend that I headed up to Winni to chase pearch. This year I will be here and I live on Phelps. Another access point with a handfull of parking spots, is a Mound park on Island View Drive. It is only a 400 yard walk to Goose Island from this park. There may be some parking on the ice here also. I can see the access by the old "Red Bridge" (now green) and people are parking on the ice near shore. I fished this area of phelps last Saturday and measured over 12 inches in the hole I was fishing. I will check on the conditions by the park (Scherven) and report back. cool.gif

Ya Hey Der shoot me an email also. I don't have your addy. joemmn(at)lycos.com

Saturday sounds good. I do have one spot on Tonka I'd like to check out in the afternoon into evening but during the day I'm open.

Quote:

I can see the access by the old "Red Bridge" (now green) and people are parking on the ice near shore.

Just a word of caution...some vehicles broke through by the access there a few weeks back. It hasn't exactly been cold since.

Tonka Boy is correct. You should always use caution before taking a vehicle out on the ice. After those cars went in, we did have a few nights in the single digits. I was fishing the hole right in front of the access the other day and measured a good 12-13 inches. I actually used a tape and not a guesstimate. I am looking out my window as I write this and it looks like at least a half dozen cars are parked on the ice near the landing. Most of the people are forced out on the landing since the Minnitrista Police will give a ticket to a vehicles that do not have a trailer attached. I keep meaning to duct tape a toy trailer to my truck and see what they make of that! Be your own judge of ice safety. I dont make up the news, I just report it.

Good luck to all on the gathering, unfortuneately I will be in Michigan snowmobiling. If you bring in a copy of this thread to Tonka Bayt (19 and Smithtown Rd) we will give you 2 for 1 on all bait you buy and a 15% off on any tackle. Thanks for all of your support. And have a great time!!!

Tonka Bayt

Hooks, Lines, and Thinkers

Yep, that's the one. On the south side of Maxwell Bay off 51, which I also believe is called North Shore Drive.

If you're going to head out there (or if you have already), could you post an ice report and see how things look. Thanks...

Matt,

I was out there Sunday and Monday. The ice is still pretty good, but there are some VERY scetchy spots, especially under the bridges. DO NOT travel under the bridges unless on snowmobile going fast enough to puddle jump. There was open water under every bridge I traveled under. Also, the ice is very scetchy between bays. The main bays look pretty good. There were ATVs out there, even a truck on the ice near shore on 51 near Maxwell bay.

Today, I helped a guy whose car was about to slide down into the lake on the access. He drilled a hole to see if he could back down and get a running start. There was about 10" where he drilled. He decided to let me pull him out :-)

As far as the 28th is concerned, I'd say that we'd be good to go as long as caution is taken around bridges and between bays.

I didn't really look at Maxwell but there were plenty of cars parked there when I went by. You have to travel under a bridge to get to the main lake. Use caution if on foot or ATV. If it were me, I'd try Carson bay. There were plenty of houses near bug island and I saw an ATV going out from there. They guy I pulled out said that they were hitting the walleye between the points.

That's my report. I'm curious, how far out do people plan on traveling from the Maxwell access? Are people planning on using snowmobiles and ATVs? I'm wondering if I should bring the hovercraft, or leave it at home.

I've walked quite aways out from the access before and it's not that bad. As long as we don't get much snow in the next week walking the whole bay should be a piece of cake. Just bring the cleats.

I realize that this is a get together and people will go where they want, but is the plan pretty much to stay on Maxwell bay, or were there plans to cruise the "main" lake as well?

I agree that the ice is holding fine, it's just a little iffy around the bridges and channels.

I'm sure there will be guys fishing all over, but with no drivable ice, parking became a concern. I'm going to fish Maxwell Bay, but I think it was mainly selected for it's parking.

I believe that this came up on Phalin a couple of weeks ago. Is anyone interested in name tags? I have a horrible memory for names and found that I forgot pretty much everyone's name just a few seconds after I heard it. I'm sure not everyone's this bad, but it may not be a bad idea. Unless someone already has a bunch, I can pick some up for the event. I'm a manager with a major retail store and can pick some up for cheap if there's interest.

Just a thought...

Ok, we are getting close now, has anything changed? Meeting at 7:00 Maxwell bay area? How is parking and what would be the best way to get there, coming from the north/east of there.

It's going to be fun.

For an updated attendance list it will be me + one.

Ice was 10" with about 7 of that clear on Sat. Quite a few cars and even some trucks drove out onto Spring Park bay. I'll be out several times this week so I keep you updated. We might be able to spread out more than I thought.

I measured 11" on Phelps yesterday with about 4" of that being frozen slush. I'm still walking out but I did have a Suburban go flying by me. crazy.gif

Let's still meet at Maxwell Bay at 7am, then we can decide what we want to do from there. People are free to spread out where ever they want, it's all fair game.

Mark,

Keep us posted on the ice conditions. Temps are not going to help with making ice from the looks of it. I think I even saw 40 for one day. That's no good...

I'm sure we could find someplace. We can meet up at 7am and if people want to grab breakfast we can stick around until about 7:30am to see who shows up and then head someplace for a bit to eat. However, if you would rather fish you can do so, doesn't matter, just another option...

We could also have a little grill-out on the ice for lunch too?

mnfishinguy, always thinking about food. grin.gif Sorry fellas but won't be making this one. heading to Mille Lacs for the weekend. Dan and I are thinking about hitting the fishingmn LOW tournament. I talked to Joe and he said he might be interested in going. Do you have any interest? Dan is going to reserve rooms for March 9-11th but he would like to get a commitment by the end of the week. Let either of us know if you are interested.

Have fun on Tonka! Oh, I fished it this last Sat and only caught tiny, tiny perch.

-YHD

We are looking forward to Saturday. Bigger bait will avoid the perch. Saturday iced some nice walleye from 17 to 24 inches. Wind, weeds, walleye!!!

dsludge

YHD, I'll give Dan a call tomorrow. I would email him but it appears when he is "sleeping" in the south metro he's to busy to check it. wink.gif

Matt What is the cost this outing? I have not been able to do one yet. But would sure like to. Now if only the honey do list stays lost I'll be in ggod shape. smile.gif

jigginjim,

This is a "free" get together. Part of this "get together" is to fish a lake that a number of us just want to get to know a little better, but also to meet some great FMrs.