• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Minnetonka - Saturday, January 28

Matt Johnson

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Matt Johnson

• metrojoe

• markkstanley

• John Mickish

Now this is what I am talking about...this site is growing more and more every season it seems. I've been a chronic lurker/occasional poster for a while(although I am still a newbie...wish that would change eventually), and from what this site was 2 years ago, it has come a long way. Almost 30 people already, we are going to a be a force to be reckoned with out there.

The idea of splitting up into groups with cell phones is seeming more and more appealing with all of the entries thus far. Looking forward to seeing all of you guys out there on the ice. Good luck until then grin.gif.

Oh, BTW...Thanks again Matt for getting this thing up and rolling for all of us, it should be one of the most successful non Ice-Leaders get togethers ever. I guess that's why your labeled as the "Coordinator." Oh, and as long as I have your attention, are you still guiding during open water as well? Your website made it seem purely ice fishing now, but I suppose that could just be the seasonal layout for it.

Josh8481,

Thanks for the kind words. Nope, I only guide during the ice fishing season, no open water. Just never got into the open water guiding, just fish in a few tournaments and for fun mostly...

count me in ill be there. i will be hittin the ice for the first time this weekend cant wait goin up to URL.

iceman

I'd be there, but I'm volunteering as an "Ice Fishing Expert" to help the DNR with helping beginners that day, they're hosting a "Learn to Ice Fish" event.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd be interested in joining you guys. I'm a newbie to ice fishing, all my experience is on soft water. But, I'm a willing and eager learner.

I too am fairly new to the ice fishing game, but I would love to join the hunt. I have some equipment a cell phone and a desire to learn how to catch fish consistantly on the ice.What better place to learn then with a bunch of hardcore icemen on Tonka......

I'd like to go. I know my 13-year-old nephew would want to come along too. How is the large group split up into smaller groups?

dsludge

i am planning on being there matt i will have my honda quad runner and the otter portable.

We can split the large group up however we want. We don't even have to split up if we don't want to, I just figured it would make searching for spots a little easier. Once we all meet up in the morning then we can decide what we want to do.

It would be fun to get some of the younger kids involved too. We'll find some panfish during the day to keep things interesting grin.gif

What are we going to do IF (I don't think we will be) we aren't able to drive on Minnetonka by this time? Thats an awful big lake to try and walk around on...

Lets just hope it doesn't come down to that. If thats the case, then we might need to change our game plan a little...

I guess I forgot to post previously but this one is already on my calendar. I'll have my son along and if all of you without younger fishing partners want to watch how the ice tips under my portable you are welcome too observe this phenomenon. That is the only explanation how my best rods and my graph always end up on his side of the house especially if I step outside for a minute!! I'm still working on a strap system to keep my new Thorne Brothers Perch Sweetheart in my hands.

mnfishinguy,

You going to have any time in the next week or so to do a little pre-fish? wink.gif

I've got a spot in mind that isn't to bad of a walk, but I haven't been out there in a few years. I'd like to go check it out as a possible alternative if it should come to that. Maybe we should call the 3 amigos to join us. grin.gif

Do I have time? Only Monday thru Friday are open, and maybe the weekend. How's that sound?

Quote:

What are we going to do
IF
(I don't think we will be) we aren't able to drive on Minnetonka by this time? Thats an awful big lake to try and walk around on...

Great question mnfishingguy! I'm looking at the calendar and come Saturday, it will only be 14 days (2 full weeks) until the 28th comes around. They are talking high 30's with potential for 40's on Thursday.

I was hoping we would of been able to drive vechiles out on Tonka', but I don't have a good feeling about it.

When do we start looking at a different game plan? I've got the day marked on the calendar and am looking forward to the event....the day just can't get here fast enough grin.gif

J and J,

sounds like the Phalen outing went well. Sorry I didn't make it. I ended up running some errands and putting the reflectex in my otter (not that it has been that cold but we are overdue and I just wanted to be ready). My house keeps getting heavier and heavier. Dan and I went out this morning to Riley and we caught a few crappies, 8"s with one 9. What are your plans for this coming Sat (1/14)? I wonder how the ice on Mille Lacs is holding up. Hope you guys had a good weekend and talk to you later.

-YHD

Captain, I think the sherrif is even saying not to walk on the lake anymore, let alone drive. Can someone confirm this? I just saw the weather and it looks like 30+ thru Friday, that would leave only one week till the event. Can someone say Linwood/Chisago?

IF we have a change of venue, whats the lead time for this?

Hey Der, I don't know about Mille Lacs, thats a LONG walk out there! What else would you be up for?

I've talked with numerous different people about this and I believe the consensus is to change the body of water. Tonka is most definitely not a place where we're going to want to walk out when trying to effectively target walleye. It's much too large and we could literally spend all day walking trying to find possible spots. We would be more productive just limiting it to a certain bay and targeting whatever specie(s) seems most likely.

OR...

We can change the lake and head someplace different? We could target a smaller lake that allows us to cover more ice on foot, at least to the point where we can effectively search out walleye in just one day.

What are everyone's thoughts on this? We could move it to the Chisago Area and target walleye/panfish/pike? Or we can try a different lake with less area...

We will have to decide on something within the next week or so, being that the set date is less than 3 weeks away...

Ok all of you Minnetonka guru's out there. Is there a place within a reasonable walking distance that would hold a reasonable chance at some walleyes or a decent place for some pannies? We do run the risk of the weather being windier that a G.W. Bush speach on the state of the economy so if that is the case we might have to stay even closer to shore with this glare ice.

C'mon you masters of the lake, are there any good spots WITHOUT giving up any of your secrets?

Ice is about 8" thick and slick. Not fun to walk on. If you are in the mood to chase panfish Seaton and Phelps are the areas that are producing a decent bite. Find the weed line and start there for gills. I just usually start at 18ft or so on the bottom transition from hard to soft. If they aren't there then I head in shallower. Don't be afraid to get as shallow as 6ft during the day for gills. Crappies are typically out in 18 to 20ft. I have not had any luck with eyes this winter so can't help you there.

We would also need a spot that would allow us to park numerous trucks/cars on shore... Spring Park Bay is a little limited if we're looking at targeting Phelps...

Any place where we can park a stack of trucks and then walk out to a few spots within reason? I haven't had much time to scout out Tonka at all this winter, and I don't see myself doing so before now and the Get Together either...

Matt,

There is a access by the green bridge but it is limited you could park on the lake and walk to phelps, I think no trailer parking in the lot. Short walk you can fish the deep hole by the green bridge or go to the weed line over by Phelps. Road to another access is by Spur gas station will take you to another park access if that helps. Both close to Phelps.

How about Cooks bay public could walk to some good spots.

Grays Bay public launch. Could fish both sides of 101 and Wayzata Bay is a reasonable walk. Need some other to put us on spots there as I don't fish that side. There are two parks along Island View that allow access to Phelps and Goose Island areas as well as the small access at the bridge. Everyone will have to park on the ice but we have been doing that. Only issue is this is not prime walleye water in my experience. Maybe if we get enough ATVs and snowmobiles together we can ferry people out to good spots. No matter what lake we choose it looks like we will be walking.

Mark, I believe those are the two spots I mentioned in the above post.

What I stated about the green bridge and the park access you could walk and fish Goose or phelps, alot of spots.

On the other side of the green bridge south I have fished walleyes but it can be a tuff bite until sundown. Most house's out that way are fishing walleyes.

Yep I just wanted to point out we could park vehicles along the shore as none of those spots has a lot of parking spots. That access by the bridge is a money raiser for the Mound police since the whole thing is no parking and they ticket every vehicle they can.

Yes they do, write those tickets. I lived out here 30 years I know all the officers by their first name. laugh.gif