• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Cabela's VXR Flasher

simplefish

Question

Has anyone used or heard anything about this particular flasher? I'm in the market and this looks like a no brainer. 600 watts of power, able to zoom in on the bottom 5 feet, and interferance rejection. All for about the same as an FL-8 but with more features, and all the add-ons. Thanx ahead for any help.

11 answers to this question

Gander now has a store brand flasher (Guide Series) as well, along with a camera. It would be worth checking them out as well.

I don't know about Cabela's but the Gander flasher is indeed made by Marcum. Was there yesterday and asked the salesman if that was the case and he confirmed. He also commented that he didn't know why they had them but not the actual Marcum brand flashers yet.

I can't speak for Cabalas but I can for the Gander flaser and Camara. I would assume it would be the same for both stores. They are both Marcum units. The flasher is a LX2 for $299! and the camara is a VS350 for $199! Hot items this year on the ice.

[Note from admin; That is incorrect Andy. It is more similar to an FL-18 but with a little more power than the FL-18. The LX2 has more power yet, a 5'-10' zoom window option and a water resistant case]

Chris - From what I know the Cabela's VXR and Gander GSX flashers shipped first from the factory. I think the MarCum line of flashers should be there or on the way by now. Also as a fan of the larger zoom window for an extra $20 I would take a serious look at the LX-2 that gives you the option of 5' or 10' window and 1,000 watts of power.

That's the big reason why I didn't care for the 6' bottom only zoom with the FL-18 it limitted it's performance.

I saw the Cabela's one last weekend and it comes with a battery gauge. Does the Gander one?

I had a chance to look this product over quite a bit, and speak to the guys at Marcum about it.

As stated earlier, it's very comparable to the Vexilar FL-18, with slightly more power than the FL-18 (600watts to the FL-18 400watts). The Gander unit does not have the added battery monitor as stated, otherwise, the units are the same. Also, the VXR unit is packaged in a Cabelas ice-case with a vexilar-like slip-float/stopper system on the transducer cable.

In my opinion, the Cabela's VXR is a no-brainer if really in love with the FL-18 features, especially considering it has more peak power, and virtually the same other features as the FL-18......for 100 bucks less.

Joel

Don't get hung up over watts of power. A more sensitive transducer doensn't need as much power to get the same results as a less sensitive ducer. Kind of an apples to oarnges thing.

They do look like very attractive units for the price. I think any flasher out there is going to help a person catch fish. I think people out there reading this need to realize that most of the guys using the best equipement out there like the LX-5 for example are truely extreme fisherpersons and accept only the best equipement out there. Using a crude example, the LX5 or LX3tc is like the Mercedes of flashers, while a FL-18 or Cabelas VXR may be a Cadalac and an Fl-8 or LX-1 may be a Chevy/Ford. Each flasher is going to let you see your bait, and the fish below. The difference is how much refinement you desire or can afford?

My main point, ANY flasher these days is going to help you catch more fish.

Good luck!

Gus, very good point. I have loved all the flashers in my life, no pun intended. The hummingbird 60, Fl-8, Lx-3, and Lx-5. All provided intended results. Some did a better job than others at certain things.

And I think the idea for most, especially those people in the market for a new flasher, is to get the absolute best flasher with the most features for the money. If they have $X to spend, might as well have the Cadillac for the price of a Ford!

Right about now, sitting over any hole, with any flasher or none sounds quite appealing.

Joel

Don't forget about the LX-2 boys for only $20 more at $319 you get a choice of a bottom lock 5' or 10' Zoom plus the new colors and IR. I think this will be a hot item as well at an unbelievable introductory price.